An online museum that keeps the memories of the Tiananmen Square victims alive has accused Hong Kong officials of trying to cancel it.

The museum has been inaccessible to Hongkongers in the city since Thursday, per Reuters.

In a statement, the museum said the culprit behind the blockage was trying to “erase historical memory.”

The museum was only introduced last month by the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China. 

The Alliance has organized an annual June 4 vigil for the protesters killed by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) military for the past 32 years.

Last weekend it was reported that the Alliance had voted to disband after a police crackdown on dissidents. Beijing has used “national security” as a clause for targeting top leaders of the group.

The same explanation was reiterated by Hong Kong police about the online exhibition. 

“Police may require service providers to take actions to prohibit electronic messages posted on electronic platforms that are likely to endanger national security,” the force said, noting that it was unable to comment on specific circumstances.

Chinese officials also accused the Alliance of being “an agent of foreign forces,” and inciting subversion. They insisted on their innocence. 

“A regime cannot take away the people’s memory and conscience,” said chairman Lee Cheuk-yan, who has been imprisoned, along with other leaders.

The Alliance’s physical museum was raided earlier this September. Exhibits, memorabilia, and photographs of the historic event were all seized by the police.

Their Facebook page, website, and other social media accounts were ordered by the police to be deleted around two weeks ago.

Hong Kong has denied following Beijing in suppressing human rights and freedoms, Reuters reported. 

But as The New York Times observed, since the national security law was enacted in the city last year, Beijing has been able to mend the “one country, two systems” city following its interest. 

“Hong Kong is now a montage of scenes unfamiliar and, for many, unsettling,” the outlet said. “Police officers have been trained to goose-step in the Chinese military fashion, replacing decades of British-style marching.”

The Tiananmen Square massacre has been a highly sensitive topic in mainland China, which finds no ground in appearing on its strictly monitored internet. 

Hong Kong used to comfortably allow The Alliance to hold vigil to the June 4 massacre in Tiananmen Square over the past decades.

Sign up to receive our latest news!

  • SMS / PHONE

    By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.