While the holiday season might be a time for overindulgence, keep in mind that some delicacies, candies, and chocolates may be unhealthy for our pets.

When his owner was away running errands, a UK bull terrier ate six packets of Christmas chocolate coins and had to be rushed to the vet for life-saving surgery.

According to the BBC, Hugo, the 6-year-old Staffordshire bull terrier, ate the tempting but lethal food and left the evidence of his crime strewn around his owner’s house in Plymouth, Devon.

After a quick trip to the store, owner Amie returned to discover chocolate wrappers strewn across the floor, foil shards throughout, and the packages shredded to pieces.

“At first, Hugo seemed fine, but I felt sick with worry when he began vomiting blood. He then had a terrifying seizure, so I called PDSA immediately,” she said about Dispensary for Sick Animals, a veterinary charity.

An X-ray at the animal center revealed that the dog’s stomach was stuffed with foil.

PDSA nurse Donna Southwould said that the dog “needed an intravenous fluid drip, medication and intensive nursing care to aid his recovery,” adding that “Hugo was kept in overnight after his major surgery.” 

“He was very lucky, and could have died if he had not been treated in time. While he’s not completely out of the woods yet, thankfully Hugo is now at home on strict rest, and on the road to recovery,” Donna added.

Amie expressed her gratitude for Hugo’s recovery. Although, at one point, she believed they might lose him, “I don’t know what I would have done without the incredibly kind and caring staff at PDSA—they were amazing. I honestly don’t think Hugo wouldn’t be here without them, so to have him home for Christmas is a miracle.”

Sign up to receive our latest news!

  • SMS / PHONE

    By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.