A top Japanese official spoke out against the World Health Organization (WHO) for kowtowing to the Chinese Communist Party and excluding Taiwan from discussions amid a global effort to curb the spread of the deadly CCP Virus (coronavirus).
Japan’s Deputy Prime Minister Taro Aso blasted the WHO and suggested that the organization should be renamed as the “China Health Organization,” according to the Daily Caller, which cited a report from Japanese Formosa News on Wednesday, April 1.
“Although the details are murky, the WHO’s previous director-general was a Chinese national and at the time there were complaints all around, and now at least a petition has gathered 300,000 signatures or rather 500,000 signatures,” Aso said.
“People think the World Health Organization should change its name. It shouldn’t be called the WHO, it should be renamed the CHO, this appeal is truly resonating with the people,” he added.
WOW: Japanese official blasts China, says the WHO should be renamed the CHO — China Health Organization, given the Chinese Communist Party’s role in covering up the #coronavirus outbreak: pic.twitter.com/www1S2nRUu
— John Cooper (@thejcoop) April 1, 2020
The WHO has been criticized for its handling of the global pandemic and its soft stance toward Beijing. It did not declare a pandemic until March, when the virus had already reached more than 110 countries and infected more than 100,000 people.
“Early on, if the WHO had not insisted to the world that China had no pneumonia epidemic, then everybody would have taken precautions,” Aso said. “The WHO, which is a global organization, does not even include Taiwan, and then precisely because Taiwan is not a member of the WHO, it becomes a world leader in fighting the epidemic. Then after that statement is made, the CCP jumps out to correct it, it says Taiwan is a region not a country.”
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said, “There is no reason for measures that unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade,” the day before President Donald Trump took a critical step to stop the CCP Virus at U.S. borders by issuing a China travel ban as early as Jan. 31.
In early February, Ghebreyesus told the WHO executive board, “Don’t worry, it’s not corona,” adding that the virus’s spread abroad was “minimal and slow.”
Ghebreyesus later urged critics to hold off criticizing Beijing’s handling of the CCP Virus outbreak and asked member countries to donate $675 million in support of nations with weak health care systems.
In the United States, Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.) on Tuesday, March 31, has called on Congress to hold a hearing and investigate WHO’s role in helping the CCP cover up information at the early stages of the pandemic.
“As soon as Congress is back in session, there should be a hearing, along with a full investigation, to review whether American taxpayers should continue to spend millions of dollars every year to fund an organization that willfully parroted propaganda from the Chinese Communist Party,” Scott said.