The Taliban on Sunday, Sept. 8 that “more losses to the U.S.” after President Trump suddenly called off the planned secret meeting with Taliban officials and Afghan President Ashraf Ghani at Camp David, according to Reuters.
“This will lead to more losses to the U.S.,” he said. “Its credibility will be affected, its anti-peace stance will be exposed to the world, losses to lives and assets will increase.” Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman said in a statement.
“We will stay committed if the path of negotiation is chosen instead of fighting. … We won’t be satisfied until there is an end to the foreign occupation of our country,” Mujahid said, Reuters reported.
President Trump canceled the meeting on Sunday, Sept. 8, after the Taliban took responsibility for a deadly attack in Kabul that killed 11 civilians and a U.S. soldier last week.
“What kind of people would kill so many in order to seemingly strengthen their bargaining position?” Trump asked in a series of tweets. “They only made it worse! If they cannot agree to a ceasefire during these very important peace talks, and would even kill 12 innocent people, then they probably don’t have the power to negotiate a meaningful agreement anyway. How many more decades are they willing to fight?” the president tweeted.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Sunday, defended President Trump for hosting the secret meeting as a peace attempt from the president. He said on “Fox News Sunday” that negotiations with the Taliban are dead “for the time being.”
“They tried to use terror to improve their negotiating position, and I think anyone who’s observed President Trump knows … if in the course of a conversation where we’re trying to improve both teams’ outcomes, if the other team commits an act that’s inconsistent with that, President Trump’s not going to take that,” he said.