A Taliban attack in the Afghan capital, Kabul, on Monday night has left at least 16 dead and more than 100 wounded.
Interior Ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahmi said the number of victims could still increase because several homes were destroyed, according to the Associated Press.
The authorities have confirmed that the target of the attack was the Green Village complex, an area that is home to numerous international organizations and guest houses, so it appears that foreign casualties were being sought.
This attack occurred almost at the same time as the TV station TOLO interviewed the U.S. envoy Zalmay Khalilzad in charge of negotiations between the U.S. government and the Taliban.
“We have reached an agreement with the Taliban in principle but of course until the U.S. president agrees with it, it isn’t final,” Khalilzad told TOLO, according to AP.
Last week, President Donald Trump announced his intention to withdraw at least 5,000 troops from Afghanistan out of a contingent of 14,000, if an agreement with the Taliban is reached.
Under the Trump administration, there have already been nine rounds of negotiations aimed at reducing violence in Afghanistan, achieving a cease-fire and ensuring that Afghan soil is never again used to threaten the United States.
The president is determined to end the country’s longest war and fulfill one of his most important campaign promises, to bring troops home.
The Green Village was also the target of a car bomb attack in January that left four dead and dozens injured.
The Taliban attacked a second Afghan city on Sunday and killed several members of the security forces, officials said, according to AP reports.