President Trump sent a strong warning message to Iran on Wednesday, Dec. 23, after the attack on the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad earlier this week. Until now, he had not spoken out about the events following the attack in which miraculously no Americans were injured but Iraqi citizens were.

In his stern warning to Iran, President Trump said that if an American is killed, he will hold Tehran responsible for the events.

President Trump’s Twitter message included a photo of what he identified as three Iranian rockets that did not detonate. He also said there are rumors that Tehran may be planning future attacks against Americans in Iraq.

“Our embassy in Baghdad got hit Sunday by several rockets. Three rockets failed to launch. Guess where they were from: IRAN. Now we hear chatter of additional attacks against Americans in Iraq,” said the president’s first tweet.

In a second message came the warning, “Some friendly health advice to Iran: If one American is killed, I will hold Iran responsible. Think it over.”

As reported by Fox News, the U.S. Central Command said in a statement that the Dec. 20 attack on the Green Zone, which included 21 rockets, was probably by an “Iranian-backed Rebel Militia Group.”

The embassy took the opportunity to call on the Iraqi government to intervene immediately in the matter, to cooperate in taking measures to prevent this type of attack and to carry out a thorough investigation to find the culprits. 

At the same time, according to Fox News, an official statement published by the Iraqi military said that “an outlawed group” launched eight rockets against the “Green Zone,” injuring an Iraqi security person at a checkpoint and damaging a residential complex and some cars.

A U.S. official in Baghdad, in communication with Fox News, said the U.S. military deployed its defense system, C-RAM, against rockets, artillery, and mortar to intercept the rocket attack on Sunday night. 

A month ago, on Nov. 16, the same embassy suffered another attack of similar characteristics in which several projectiles were fired against the building although they did not manage to hit it directly. This broke the truce agreed a month earlier by local pro-Iranian groups.

The November attack took place on the same day that the Trump administration announced that it was going to withdraw 500 of its soldiers from Iraq. The White House’s intention is to leave only 2,500 soldiers to advise its Iraqi partners on the eradication of what is left of the terrorist group ISIS.

The departure of U.S. troops from Iraq is part of the fulfillment of the promises made by President Donald Trump, who indicated that he would withdraw the United States from foreign conflicts initiated by previous administrations. 

President Trump’s intention continues to be to limit warfare abroad as much as possible, to bring peace to the conflict zones in the East, for which strong collaboration is also needed from the governments of the partner countries in conflict.