Secretary of State Mike Pompeo assured on Sunday that Iran will not have a nuclear weapon during President Donald Trump’s term.
Pompeo pointed out in an interview with George Stephanopoulos of ABC that the nuclear agreement (JCPOA) signed in 2015 by former President Barack Obama smoothed the way for nuclear weapons for Iran.
“What I predicted all along is if we stayed in the Iran nuclear deal that we were guaranteeing the ayatollah a pathway towards a nuclear weapon system,” Pompeo said.
He noted that the economic sanctions the United States is imposing on Iran are reducing the regime’s resources for nuclear weapons development.
“We think their economy could shrink as much as 10 or 12% in the year ahead, and that’s important. It’s important because it denies their capacity to build out nuclear weapons systems. It denies their capability to work on their missile program,” he added.
According to Pompeo, terrorist attacks increased after the JCPOA was signed, however, “now Hezbollah is struggling for resources. The Shia militias in Iraq, same thing,” he added.
The official said the Trump administration wants to negotiate and that President Donald Trump is willing to sit down with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani without preconditions.
“He has said that repeatedly. We know how this must end. We don’t want violence. We don’t want war with Iran. What we want is that revolutionary regime to stop its efforts around the world to put Israel at risk, to put the American people at risk, and deliver national security for the American people,” Pompeo added.
“That’s the outcome we’re looking for. Iran will never have a nuclear weapon on President Trump’s watch,” he concluded.
Inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) reported in July that Iran had cranked up enrichment to 4.5% purity, above the 3.7% cap suitable for civilian energy generation set by the 2015 agreement, according to Reuters.
Last week the ayatollahs’ regime threatened Europe with starting to enrich uranium past the 20% level of fissile purity if it failed to convince the United States to withdraw the economic sanctions imposed on Tehran.
The head of Iran’s nuclear program, Ali Akbar Saleh, declared on Sunday, according to TRT World, that the European Union has not kept its commitments to Iran and that therefore, “Iran will continue to reduce its nuclear commitments as long as the other parties fail to carry out their commitments.”