It has been revealed that the Haitian president made two phone calls asking for help for his life about 15 minutes before being executed at his home, leaving the three units in charge of security even more compromised for having taken so long to respond, a report by the British media Daily Mail reveals.

As the investigation into the assassination of Haitian President Jovenel Moïse progresses and more evidence is uncovered, more questions remain unanswered.

According to the Daily Mail report based on several reports, the Haitian president made two desperate calls approximately 15 minutes before being executed at his residence.

The first call made by Jovenel Moïse was at 1:34 a.m. on July 7 to the police commissioner.

“They are shooting next to the house. Mobilize the people,” the president told the commissioner.

Seeing that there was no immediate response from the commissioner, Moïse called a National Police officer.

“Where are you, I need your help, now. My life is in danger. Come quickly, come save my life,” Moïse said in his call to the national police.

The national police officer who received the call said that before the call cut off, he heard shots from assault rifles and immediately sent three patrols to the president’s residence.

The commissioner who received the first call said that on his way to the president’s house, he made calls for 14 minutes straight to get help.

He first called the president’s head of security, Dimitri Hérard, apparently involved in the investigation, and he confirmed that he was already preparing to go to the scene. That call came at 1:35 a.m., one minute after Moïse’s call for help.

At 1:38 a.m. the commissioner called the supervisor of the president’s security team who were on duty at the time, but no one answered.

Minutes later, at 1:47 a.m., he called the specialized tactical unit called the Counter Assault Team, and at 1:50 a.m., he called Haitian Police Chief Léon Charles, asking for support.

According to the president’s call log, he was still alive at 1:45.

The strange end of the operation 

The commissioner who made the calls and Moïse’s first request for help said that Hérard, head of security, was already there with his agents in the middle of the street when he arrived at the president’s residence.

Both Hérard’s team and the police units headed together to the president’s residence but were stopped by a group of heavily armed men, who were eventually the president’s assassins and who were shouting at them, “DEA operation, stand down.”

Strangely, Herard and the officers who went to protect the president, obeyed and retreated at the mercenaries’ shouts.

When the Colombian mercenaries began to withdraw, and the president’s security forces managed to enter the residence, Moïse lay dead in his room and his wounded wife in a hallway. His children were not injured.

The three ‘layers’ of security that failed to protect the president

By routine, the security team at the president’s residence has 24 officers, but the Haitian police have refused to confirm how many were on site on the day of his assassination.

The president’s first layer of security is the team led by Dimitri Hérard, a veteran national police officer. Hérard has been arrested in connection with the assassination.

The second layer is the Counter Assault Team and the third and closest to the president is the Presidential Security Unit.

None of the officers from the three layers of presidential security were injured during the incident. So far, about 20 individuals from these units have been arrested, are being questioned, or received some form of sanction.

With the collaboration of the FBI, 18 of the Colombian mercenaries and two Haitian-Americans believed to be involved in the attack have been arrested. Three Colombian mercenaries have been killed, and five remain at large.

What are the theories about the motive for the assassination?

There is evidence that the Colombian mercenaries, some of them trained by the Pentagon, were hired by a security company called Unidad Antiterrorista Academia Federal LCC or CTU Security based in Miami whose owner is a Venezuelan named Antonio Intriago.

Christian Emmanuel Sanon, accused of being the mastermind, commissioned the assassination to Intriago, who made several reconnaissance trips to Haiti before carrying out the operation.

Sanon, Gilbert Dragon, a former police commissioner, and Reynaldo Corvington, accused of harboring the assassins, were arrested as the main perpetrators of the murder.

Haitian investigators believe they met in Florida and the Dominican Republic to plan ‘how to rebuild Haiti’ when Moïse was no longer in power.

However, there is no clear evidence as to who and why the assassination was ordered and how the assassins could get through a three-layer security checkpoint. 

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.