At around 11 a.m. on Sunday, November 14, a car exploded outside Liverpool Women’s Hospital.

The explosion occurred only seconds before a two-minute silence was held for Remembrance Sunday. Counter-terrorism officers are now investigating the incident that killed one person and injured another on the streets of Liverpool, according to the Independent.

The male passenger of the car was pronounced dead at the scene while the taxi driver, David Perry, was injured and is currently recovering at home.

Three men—aged 29, 26, and 21—were arrested under the Terrorism Act in connection with the taxi bombing. A fourth suspect, a 20-year-old man, was also detained. These men are thought to be “associates” of the taxi passenger.

At 10:59 a.m., police were dispatched to the scene. The hospital is a short walk from the city’s cathedral, which was hosting a large Remembrance Sunday service with over 2,000 people expected to observe the usual 11 a.m. silence.

At the time, the taxi carried one passenger, then it suddenly exploded as it pulled up outside the hospital.

An online image showed a car in flames and later burnt out.

“So far we understand that the car involved was a taxi which pulled up at the hospital shortly before the explosion occurred,” the police statement said.

A video of the taxi driving up to the front of Liverpool Women’s Hospital has also surfaced. It shows a blast inside the car that caused it to stop, followed by white smoke rising from inside.

Before the vehicle erupts into flames, the driver is seen opening the right-hand car door and escaping.

When fire engines arrived shortly after 11 a.m., the fire was “fully developed,” according to Phil Garrigan, chief fire officer of Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service, Sky News reported.

He told reporters: “The operational crews extinguished the fire rapidly but as has been reiterated by the police chief constable, there was one fatality.

“Another individual had left the vehicle prior to the fire developing to the extent that it did.”

Russ Jackson, the North West’s Head of Counter Terrorism Policing, stated on Monday that the taxi driver picked up a passenger on Rutland Avenue, near Sefton Park, on Sunday.

He said: “The fare—a man—had asked to be taken to Liverpool Women’s Hospital, which was about 10 minutes away.

“As the taxi approached the drop-off point at the hospital an explosion occurred from within the car. This quickly engulfed it in flames.”

The investigation is being led by officers from Counter Terrorism North West, with Merseyside Police and MI5.

On Monday afternoon, Boris Johnson issued a strong warning for the UK to be “vigilant,” describing the explosion as a “stark reminder” to the people of the dangers of terrorism, per Daily Mail.

The Prime Minister told a COVID press briefing: “What yesterday showed above all is that the British people will never be cowed by terrorism, we will never give in to those who seek to divide us with senseless acts of violence. And our freedoms and our way of life will always prevail.”

Armed police rushed to several terraced houses in Sutcliffe Street after the explosion, making three arrests.

Sutcliffe Street and Boaler Street remain closed as of this morning.

A heavy police presence is also in place at Rutland Avenue in Sefton Park, where a number of residents were forced to leave their homes overnight.

Joe Thomas, a reporter at the Liverpool Echo, said: “In the following hours and for much of Sunday afternoon, and going into Sunday night, there were two significant scenes of police activity across different areas of the city; one was in the Kensington area where three people have been arrested under the terrorism act, and one was in the Sefton Park area where there was a significant armed police presence.”

The mayor of Liverpool praised the “heroic” taxi driver for his attempts to reduce the explosion’s consequences.

The driver, David Perry, was said to have locked the passenger in the vehicle.

Liverpool’s Mayor, Joanne Anderson, said: “The taxi driver, in his heroic efforts, has managed to divert what could have been an absolutely awful disaster at the hospital.”

The taxi driver’s wife described her husband’s survival from serious injury as an “utter miracle.”

She also refuted claims that Perry had locked “the passenger inside the car.”

She said: “There are a lot of rumors flying around about him being a hero and locking the passenger inside the car.

“The truth of the matter is, he is without doubt, lucky to be alive.”

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.