America’s largest government agency admitted hundreds of U.S. citizens were still stranded in Afghanistan on Oct. 26.
The U.S. Department of Defense confirmed 439 Americans are trapped in the Middle Eastern country. This is 76 more than the figure reported one week prior.
At least 196 are ready to leave Afghanistan, while 243 have unfinished business or wish to stay under Taliban rule.
Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) questioned the Biden administration’s revised estimates for how many U.S. citizens are still in the Middle Eastern country.
“One of the many confusing things about this whole thing is that we really do not know how many Americans were left in Afghanistan,” he said in a statement. “The administration’s number of U.S. citizens left in Afghanistan keeps changing … [and] it is very confusing.”
The administration repeatedly claimed between 100 and 200 U.S. citizens were left in Afghanistan. It later confirmed 234 were already evacuated. A further 363 others were contacted, from which 176 still want to leave according to the senator.
Given the Taliban’s recent access to abandoned U.S. military arsenal, Islamic State could attack the United States in as little as six months according to intelligence agency reports.
“I think the intelligence community currently assesses that both Islamic State-K and al-Qaeda have the intent to conduct external operations, including against the United States but neither currently has the capability to do so,” Undersecretary of Defense for Policy Colin Kahl said according to the Daily Mail.
The same terrorist group previously claimed responsibility for a series of bombings in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad, on Sept. 19.
“More than 35 Taliban militia members were killed or wounded in a series of explosions that took place,” the group said according to Reuters.
At least three people died and a further 20 were wounded from a total of five blasts.
The deadliest attack occurred on Aug. 26. A total of 180 people lost their lives plus 13 U.S. soldiers during the Biden administration’s chaotic military withdrawal from Kabul.
Former President Donald Trump called on U.S. Congress to thoroughly investigate the botched withdrawal, and find out what “went wrong.”
“Congress should set up a ‘Commission on the Disastrous Withdrawal From Afghanistan,'” he previously said. “Figure out what went wrong, why so many of our warriors were killed, and why so much money ($85 billion)—in the form of weapons and military equipment—was left behind for the Taliban to use and to sell to other countries.”
“This is, without question, something that needs to be investigated further,” he added. “[This includes] 13 dead American heroes, billions of dollars of equipment, and hundreds of Americans still left behind in Afghanistan with the Taliban.”