Pro-democracy legislators and activists on Wednesday, Sept. 4, denounced Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam’s announcement to withdraw the controversial China extradition bill that triggered months of massive demonstrations.

They said Lam’s concession came “too little” and “too late.” Pro-democracy lawmaker Claudia Mo condemned Lam’s bid to address public grievances.

Lam’s offer is “absurd” and “not acceptable,” Mo said, adding, “The damage is done. The scars and wounds are still bleeding in Hong Kong. She thinks she can use some garden hose to put out a hill fire. That is not acceptable.”

videoinfo__video.thebl.com||c84e5d024__

The member of the Hong Kong Legislative Council pointed out, “The so-called concession has come too little, too late.”

“It’s not for the Democrats and the legislature to say whether or not the whole thing is acceptable, the way she tried to concede,” Mo said.

“It’s up to our young protesters on the front line to see, to decide how they should take it, and my immediate impression is that they are adamant about the five demands being met before their fight could, would actually stop,” said Mo during a press conference.

And these young protesters are asking for all their demands, including the call for direct elections, to be fulfilled, continued Mo.

After a summer of unrest and on-going massive pro-democracy protests, Lam finally announced earlier on Wednesday that her government would formally withdraw the China extradition bill. The proposed controversial bill would allow the Chinese communist regime to extradite people—Hong Kong residents and foreigners—to mainland China for prosecution.

Pro-establishment lawmaker Starry Lee, however, urged protesters to accept Lam’s olive branch. She asked the pro-democratic activists to consider the “whole chaotic situation.”

“The government showed their decision to make one step forward and I hope and urge all these stakeholders to take this opportunity to stop and rethink what is good for the Hong Kong society,” said Lee, who is the chairperson of the Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong.

Pro-democracy activist Joshua Wong tweeted, stating that Lam’s decision had come “too late and too slow.”

Wong, who is the secretary-general of Hong Kong pro-democracy party Demosistō, stated that during the past few months of protests, they became aware of the “crackdown of human rights.”

“More than 1,200 activists were arrested; more than a hundred of our teammates were prosecuted, including at least eight activists passed away as suicide,” said Wong.

In a tweet, Wong stated that the growing intensity of police violence toward protesters “have left an irreversible scar” on the entire Hong Kong society.

Speaking at a news conference from Taiwan, Wong said since the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) “refused to listen to our voice, we need to declare that our protest must continue at least until 1st of October, that’s China’s National Day.”

The 22-year-old activist and politician stated that they are acutely aware of the CCP’s tactics that Chinese authorities are trying to stop the protests by announcing the withdrawal. Wong tweeted to caution the global community not to be deceived by Lam’s announcement and the communist regime.

“That’s just a strategy for Beijing hope to cool down and to reduce the number of participants of protest in the next few weeks, especially on 1st of October,” said Wong.

“But our determination and courage to fight for freedom will still continue,” said Wong. “Whether we experience police brutality and a crackdown of human rights, we’ll have even stronger determination to continue to fight for free elections.”

Wong stated that the protests would continue until all their demands are met. “Hong Kong people, we will never stop until Hong Kong is the place with democracy and freedom,” said Wong.

He reiterated the five demands: “We urge [the] government to completely withdraw the bill; we demand governments stop arrest and prosecution, [and] not to define protesters as rioters, set up an independent inquiry on police brutality and a finally and the most important one is free elections.” In a tweet, Wong revealed that the bill withdrawal announcement indicated Lam’s repeated failure to understand the Hong Kong situation.

But Lam said her government would not concede to other demands, including an independent investigation into alleged police violence against protesters or the unconditional release of detainees. She assigned two new members to a police watchdog agency to investigate the matter.

Lam has come under mounting criticism in recent months for pushing the extradition bill that many Hong Kong people consider as the CCP’s increasing encroachment on the territory’s corroding autonomy since the former British colony returned to Chinese control in 1997.

A tweet from the United States House of Representative Jim McGovern that was retweeted by Wong stated, “The full withdrawal of the extradition bill is a first step that should’ve been announced months ago.”

Lam was picked by a pro-Beijing committee of Hong Kong elites to be the territory’s chief executive. The CCP supports her government and the Hong Kong police’s response to the protests. However, she remains unpopular with the young pro-democracy activists for the way she has dealt with the ongoing protests.

Nonetheless, the Hong Kong stock market rose 4% following the announcement of the bill’s withdrawal.