On Tuesday, Nov. 30, the European Union demanded credible evidence that tennis star Peng Shuai is safe.

“The EU requests the Chinese government to provide verifiable proof of Peng Shuai’s safety, wellbeing and whereabouts,” the EU’s foreign service said in a statement, according to Reuters.

Since disappearing on Nov. 2 after alleging that Zhang Gaoli sexually assaulted her, the lack of records proving Shuai’s safety provided by Chinese state media has failed to convince the international public of her safety. 

Gaoli is an ex-member of the Communist Party’s ruling Standing Committee, a position that would result in reprisals from the regime if they publicly challenged him.

Joining other international groups in pressing for assurances of Shuai, a former doubles world champion, the EU also urged the Chinese government to conduct a “full, fair and transparent investigation into her allegations of sexual assault.”

According to the now-deleted recount of Shuai on Weibo, she was initially sexually coerced by Gaoli. He would later stay in an on-off affair with her while still married to his wife, who was aware of the relationship. 

There has been no public activity from Shuai since her post was removed just half an hour after being uploaded.  

As international organizations grew anxious about her conditions, Chinese state media in mid-November started to upload stage-managed footage and images of Shuai appearing unharmed, appearing casually. 

The latest trace of Shuai was a Nov. 21 a statement by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) that its director Thomas Bach conducted a personal video call with her and she had asked for privacy.

Yet critics soon noticed the assertion was hardly reliable; it showed a picture of Bach talking to a television screen of Shuai smiling in her room.

The IOC has long been derided for valuing its relationship with the Chinese Communist Party over moral obligations. Since it had assigned the 2022 Winter Olympics to Beijing, human rights groups have struggled to change its decision and move the “Genocide Games” away from China.

“The IOC did not explain how the video call with Peng had been organized, given the difficulties other concerned parties have had reaching her,” Human Rights Watch said in a statement.

According to Reuters, Beijing has told foreign governments to stay away from its affairs. Besides that, both Gaoli and the regime have remained silent regarding any inquiries about Shuai. Her topic has been censored on the mainland internet.

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.