The Women’s Tennis Association is no longer convinced Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai is safe after a state media letter claimed she was.

National sports star Peng Shuai has been missing since she came out about being sexually harassed by a top Chinese official earlier this month.

Chief executive of the Women’s Tennis Association Tour, Steve Simon, was previously reassured by the Chinese Tennis Association that Shuai was unharmed. Yet, he noted that direct confirmation of her conditions from officials and active players of the WTA Tour has not been achieved.

Then alarms started to grow as Chinese state media, tweeted an unverified letter claiming to be Shuai herself debunking with Simon the sexual assault allegations, which even claimed she was at home and safe.

“The allegation of sexual assault, is not true,” the letter reads. “I’m not missing, nor am I unsafe.”

Simon said it only showed more signs she may have been in the opposite state. 

“The statement released today by Chinese state media concerning Peng Shuai only raises my concerns as to her safety and whereabouts,” said Simon in a statement on Tuesday, Nov. 16, ABC News reported. “I have a hard time believing that Peng Shuai actually wrote the email we received or believes what is being attributed to her.”

35-year-old Shuai, on Nov. 2, alleged on Weibo that she was sexually coerced by former vice-premier Zhang Gaoli before they began an on-off relationship together. Her post was deleted just half an hour later, and no one had been able to verify her condition since.

The former top-ranked doubles player said she could not produce any evidence to back her claims, but “even if I become like an egg hitting against a rocks and like moths extinguished in the flame, I will tell the truth about [Zhang Gaoli].”

“Peng Shuai displayed incredible courage in describing an allegation of sexual assault against a former top official in the Chinese government,” Simon’s Tuesday statement continued. 

“Peng Shuai must be allowed to speak freely, without coercion or intimidation from any source. Her allegation of sexual assault must be respected, investigated with full transparency and without censorship. The voices of women need to be heard and respected, not censored nor dictated to,” it reads. 

The WTA on Nov. 14 already issued a statement demanding that the Chinese regime conduct a transparent investigation into SShuai’scase. They also required the release of censorship on the famous athlete.

Sign up to receive our latest news!

  • SMS / PHONE

    By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.