A 12-year-old boy, Jamie Quinlan, from Louth, Lincolnshire, the United Kingdom was rushed to the hospital after a metal coil from a trampoline came loose and lodged into his flesh on Saturday, Aug. 31, according to The Sun.

Jamie was playing in the backyard of his friend’s house when he suddenly felt a “strange and heavy” sensation in his back. The coil ripped through his T-shirt and stood in his back about two inches deep, a few centimeters from his spine.

His father, Ian Quinlan, rushed him to Sheffield Children’s Hospital, where he underwent an emergency surgery to remove the coil.

“When I was in the waiting room there, I was really nervous. It took them about 10 minutes to actually get the spring out of my back. The doctors said they had never heard of something like this happening with a trampoline,” Jamie said.

“It was a terrible thing to happen, and it really scared me. It could have happened to anyone. Jamie has been so brave. The spring had come off the trampoline like a bullet. If it had hit elsewhere on Jamie’s body, in his head or throat, we could have lost him,” Jamie’s father said.

Jamie was discharged on Monday.

“It could have occurred to anybody. I want people to be aware of how dangerous trampolines can be if there’s no cover on the springs, or if there’s a gap,” Ian Quinlan said.

According to FoxNews, there are thousands of trampoline-related injuries reported every year. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said that 94,000 trampoline injuries were treated in emergencies in 2012. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, children under 6 are at greatest danger for broken bones, concussions, sprains and strains, and neck wounds.

Tags: Categories: Europe World