Cleo Smith, only four years old, had all of Australia on alert after disappearing 19 days ago. Police recently reported that she was found alive and in good health locked in a house in the town of Carnarvon.

Local media reported that Cleo had been found in a house in Carnarvon, Australia, at around 1 a.m. on Wednesday, November 3 and that a man had been arrested during the operation.

Cleo went missing on October 16 while camping with her family at Blowholes Camp near Carnarvon.

A law enforcement spokesman, who introduced himself as Colonel Blanch, said police forced their way into the locked house and found the girl in one of the rooms.

“It’s my privilege to announce that in the early hours of this morning, the Western Australia police force rescued Cleo Smith,” he said. “Cleo is alive and well.

When police entered the house, an officer took her in his arms and asked her, ‘What’s your name? “She said, ‘My name is Cleo.’ This is the outcome we all hoped and prayed for. This is the result we have achieved thanks to incredible police work,” Blanch said.

Cleo went missing Oct. 16 while camping with her family at Blowholes Campground near Carnarvon. The girl had woken up around 1.30am that Saturday morning to ask her mother Ellie for a drink of water. 

When Ellie woke up later at around 6am, the tent zipper was open and Cleo and her sleeping bag were missing, leading authorities to immediately believe that Cleo had been abducted.

From that moment on, investigators did not rest, searching for evidence indicating what might be the girl’s whereabouts. They analyzed video cameras, took dozens of statements and searched Cleo’s home several times.

In addition, the Australian government announced a $1 million reward for information leading to Cleo’s location.

Ten days after Cleo’s disappearance, her parents, who until then had not made many public statements, made a heartbreaking plea for their daughter’s return home. From that moment on, the case took on an international scope, increasing considerably the pressure on investigators.

“How can someone do that to another person? No one I know has gone through this and I would never wish for anyone to go through this, to wake up and feel that feeling that went through me,” the girl’s mother said at the time, shedding tears.

After so many days, hopes of finding her alive and well began to fade. Although the local media filled their screens with the girl’s face requesting information and large rewards, no one seemed to have any data to contribute. 

However, after 19 days the investigators managed to find Cleo, although it is still not known who was responsible for the kidnapping or what the motives were, they did report that the girl is in good health and is already in the company of her parents.

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.