Philippine officials say rescuers have pulled out four survivors and three bodies but several more were missing after a massive landslide set off by a typhoon crashed down on two government buildings in a northern mountain province.

Regional police Chief Superintendent Rolando Nana says at least 18 more people still are missing from the landslide in the far-flung town of Natonin in Mountain Province. Smaller land- and rockslides on roads leading to Natonin have slowed the advance of more rescuers and earth-moving equipment.

Workers clear the road off toppled trees after Typhoon Yutu slammed Isabela province in northeastern Philippines Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2018. A strong typhoon battered the northern Philippines on Tuesday, though officials were hopeful that successful evacuations would help avoid a repeat of the death and destruction wrought by a powerful storm last month. (AP Photo)
Workers clear the road off toppled trees after Typhoon Yutu slammed Isabela province in northeastern Philippines Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2018. A strong typhoon battered the northern Philippines on Tuesday, though officials were hopeful that successful evacuations would help avoid a repeat of the death and destruction wrought by a powerful storm last month. (AP Photo)

Disaster response officer Jennifer Pangket says there could be up to 24 people still trapped in the landslide, which occurred as Typhoon Yutu pummeled the region Tuesday. At least nine people have died due to the typhoon, which blew out of the northern Philippines on Tuesday.

Source: The Associated Press

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.