Watch
  • Download App

Woman smoking while on oxygen tank killed when cigarette sparks explosion

Ad will display in 09 seconds

A 61-year-old North Carolina who was smoking while hooked up to an oxygen tank was killed Tuesday when her cigarette sparked an explosion.

Belinda Coble, 61, was smoking a cigarette at her home in Zebulon, North Carolina, while oxygen was being provided at her home 20 miles northeast of Raleigh.

The cigarette ignited her oxygen tank, which resulted in an explosion and a fire, authorities said.

Her husband was asleep in another room when the incident occurred, but called 911 when the blast and smoke alarm woke him. He then managed to put out the fire.

Coble was pronounced dead by the time emergency responders got to her home, authorities said.

Oxygen Concentrator Store wrote in a 2015 blog post that smoking while using an oxygen machine or being near one is dangerous, and urged people to avoid doing it.

Experts recommend keeping a 10-foot radius between the oxygen tank and people who are smoking, “or from campfires or other open flames.”

 

Tags: Categories: U.S.