When Laquna Ross visited her father, a Vietnam War veteran with cancer at DeKalb VA nursing home, she was shocked noticing he had dozens of swollen red bumps. She discovered that her father was living in insect-infested conditions.
When Ross came back this time, she was informed that her father had died. The staff member told her they thought he wasn’t even alive because the ants were all over him.
Ross told Channel 2 that the ants weren’t just on her father, Joel Marrable, but they also plastered on the ceiling, walls, and beds. The staff members cleaned the room, but she said the ants returned the next day, with the same results.
Marrable got moved to a new room, where Ross said he later died due to his bout with cancer, Channel 2 reported.
The Atlanta VA Hospital sent the news station a statement that apologized, describing the actions they had taken to address the ant problem.
All bedrooms at the nursing home were stripped, cleaned and inspected for ants. In addition, all open containers and open food items were removed from all bedrooms, the VA said.
“The Atlanta VA Health Care System leadership team has been notified that ants were found in our Community Living Center and impacting patients. CLC staff immediately cared for the veterans and took action to ensure no other CLC residents were impacted. We would like to express our heartfelt remorse and apology to the veterans’ families and have reached out to them to offer appropriate assistance,” the statement read.
Marrable, served in the Air Force during the Vietnam War. The woman said her father “deserved better.”
“His room had ants, the ceiling, the walls, the beds. They were everywhere,” she said. “He served his country in the Air Force, and I think that he deserved better.”