The Latest on armed man who told Texas police he was on way to church to fulfill “prophecy” (all times local):

5:30 p.m.

A Southeast Texas police chief says the handgun a man was carrying while on his way to a church to fulfill a “prophecy” was stolen days earlier from a home.

Vidor (VY’-dohr) police Chief Rod Carroll said Monday that it’s not clear if 33-year-old Tony Dwayne Albert II was involved in the theft of the gun or obtained it later.

Carroll says Albert, who was found with the gun, extra ammunition and a face shield, had apparently threatened a Baptist church in Vidor, which is near the border with Louisiana.

Officers found ‘an oddly dressed male wearing tactical style clothing, a surgical face shield, carrying a loaded firearm and extra ammunition’, according Officer Tanya Brown.

Albert was stopped Sunday by an off-duty policeman in the San Antonio suburb of Seguin, which is 250 miles (402 kilometers) from Vidor. It’s not clear what brought Albert to the San Antonio area.

Albert was taken to Guadalupe County Jail. As of Sunday afternoon he remained in prison on $100,000 bond, according to the Huffington Post. 

Seguin Police say that the citizen who reported Albert helped stop a potentially devastating massacre.  

‘This morning, the Seguin Police Department is extremely grateful to the citizen who called police. If this subject was not stopped and apprehended the results could have ended differently,’ Officer Brown added.

Carroll says family members have told investigators that Albert has a history of mental illness.

Seguin Police shared this post on Sunday thanking the citizen who called the cops on Albert saying: ‘If this subject was not stopped and apprehended the results could have ended differently’


12:30 p.m.

A waitress in suburban San Antonio says an armed man who said he was on his way to a church to fulfill “a prophecy” when he was arrested had asked her for directions to a church.

Brianna Jimenez tells KSAT that 33-year-old Tony Dwayne Albert II went to the restroom in Las Mañanitas Mexican Restaurant in Sequin on Sunday, then came out and asked for the nearest Baptist church.

Jimenez says he was provided directions and as he left, she saw him gripping a weapon. She says an employee locked the door after he left and her mother called police, who arrested Albert after finding him with a loaded handgun, extra ammunition and a face shield.

Online records show he’s jailed on weapons and drug complaints, but do not list an attorney for him.

Source: The Associated Press & Daily Mail

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.