As President Trump reported Wednesday, the United States has demanded that the United Nations re-impose all sanctions against Iran. Today, Thursday, the Secretary of State formally made the request arguing Iran’s non-compliance with the controversial nuclear agreement.
According to Fox News, last week, the United Nations Security Council rejected a United States request to extend a 13-year embargo on Iran’s imports and exports of conventional weapons, including aircraft and tanks in and out of the Middle East country, which expires in October of this year.
A few weeks ago, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Kelly Craft told Fox News that both Russia and the Chinese regime want to benefit from the end of the arms embargo on Iran. “Russia and China are hoping to sell weapons to Iran,” the ambassador said. They were the two countries that voted against it. The rest just abstained from voting.
At a press conference Wednesday, President Trump said: “Today, I’m directing the Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, to notify the U.N. Security Council that the United States intends to restore virtually all of the previously suspended United Nations sanctions on Iran. It’s a snapback; it’s not uncommon.”
The “snapback” clause, included in the nuclear pact itself, implies that the United States, despite its withdrawal from the Iranian nuclear agreement in 2018, could appeal to its status as a “participating” country to impose the reinstatement of U.N. sanctions on Tehran unilaterally.
Mike Pompeo published on Thursday afternoon on his Twitter account: “The process to re-impose sanctions on Iran begins. Today I hand-delivered a letter to @UN. Security Council President Dian Triansyah Djani to formally notify the Council of something we all know too well—Iran’s failure to meet its commitments under the terrible nuclear deal.”
The process to re-impose sanctions on Iran begins. Today I hand-delivered a letter to @UN Security Council President Dian Triansyah Djani to formally notify the Council of something we all know too well—Iran's failure to meet its commitments under the terrible nuclear deal. pic.twitter.com/MltLupj7lg
— Secretary Pompeo (@SecPompeo) August 20, 2020
Two years ago, President Trump decided to pull the United States out of the disastrous nuclear deal with Iran, which he said was a product of the failure of Obama–Biden’s foreign policy, in terms of the amount of money paid for absolutely nothing, he argued. The deal funneled tens of billions of dollars into Iran ($150 billion to be exact). That turned out to be a total disaster, Trump said, and would have financed all the chaos, bloodshed and terror in the region and around the world if the deal had gone through. And nothing came of it, except a small, short-term deal, which Iran even honored.
If the snapback were accepted, all the U.N. sanctions against Iran lifted in exchange for halting the country’s nuclear program would be reinstated.
According to NBC News, the problem for Trump is that none of the other signatories (China, Russia, the United Kingdom, Germany, and France) believe that the United States has the power to enforce the request because it withdrew from the agreement in 2018.
In his speech, Donald Trump was very clear about his intentions against Iran: “My administration will not allow this Iran nuclear situation to go on. They will never have a nuclear weapon. Iran will never have—mark it down. Mark it down: Iran will never have a nuclear weapon.
When the United States entered into the Iran deal, it was clear that the United States would always have the right to restore the U.N. sanctions that will prevent Iran from developing a nuclear weapon. We paid a fortune for a failed concept and a failed policy—a policy that would have made it impossible to have peace in the Middle East.”