According to Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), social media companies have far too much power, and he is not ”comfortable” with the ban Twitter has slapped on former President Trump.
The Vermont independent recently said in an interview with the New York Times he was concerned after Trump was banned from Twitter after the Capitol Hill siege on Jan. 6.
Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat were soon to follow with a ban on the president.
“Do I feel particularly comfortable that the then-president of the United States could not express his views on Twitter?” Sanders told the outlet. “I don’t feel comfortable about that,” the senator said in the report published on Tuesday.
The senator said: “I don’t like giving that much power to a handful of high-tech people, but the devil is obviously in the details, and it’s something we’re going to have to think long and hard on, and that is how you preserve First Amendment rights without moving this country into a big lie mentality and conspiracy theories.”
On Jan. 8, Twitter first announced Trump’s permanent suspension, citing a “close review of recent tweets from” the former president’s account. It said in a blog post that the suspension was “due to the risk of further incitement of violence,“ reports The Washington Examiner.
In a statement to the Examiner, a spokesperson for Twitter said Trump’s account is permanently suspended due to violation of the “Glorification of Violence Policy,” adding, “We explain this decision in this blog published in January.” Twitter said there had been no changes to their decision.
Twitter said at the time the suspension took effect that the policy “aims to prevent the glorification of violence that could inspire others to replicate violent acts and determined that they were highly likely to encourage and inspire people to replicate the criminal acts that took place at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.”
Many from the Republican camp rallied Trump’s favor by leaving social media companies and joining alternative sites such as Parler, Gab, and Telegram. This move transpired after several legacy social media platforms began banning accounts that supported the president.
Although Trump became restricted in contacting his supporters, he has sent press releases through his Save America PAC to keep them informed.
Jason Miller, an adviser to Trump, told Fox News over the weekend that the former president is set to return in the next two or three months through the creation of “his own platform,” reports The Examiner.