Raymond ‘Scott’ Chan, a high school teacher from Fremont, and his 26-year-old daughter died and are among the victims of the dive boat that burned on Monday, Sept. 2, off the coast of Ventura County.

Kim Wallace, Fremont Unified School District superintendent said, “He had a lot of passions in life and shared them with his family, and so they were planning on doing a great vacation and a trip that they loved.”

“Right now, it’s a combination of just shock and disbelief and some numbness,” said Vicki Moore.

Moore mourns about her partner of 35 years and her first-born child’s death. She said father and daughter had been avid scuba divers and had been diving for years together. The two had at least two boat trips a year to the Channel Islands.

Moore headed back to Los Altos on Tuesday. She gave her DNA,a cheek swab to the police to identify the victims, samples will be used.

“You don’t expect to have a child that dies before you,” said Moore. I can barely talk about my husband, but frankly, it’s even harder when it’s your own child.”

She dropped off Chan, 59, in Santa Barbara Harbor on Friday night. There they met up with Kendra Chan, who was living in Oxnard. Moore was planning to pick them up on Monday.

At Stanford, Moore had met with Scott Chan. He has been a Silicon Valley electrical engineer for 20 years.

Chan has been teaching physics for the past two years at the American High School in Fremont.

“The students and the staff are in complete shock, as were we when we heard of the news,” Wallace said.

On Twitter, Fremont Unified School District officials said, “We send our condolences to Mr. Chan’s family and the American High School community.”

Classes just began last Wednesday, and many on-campus were upset by the news of the teacher’s death after the Labor Day weekend.

One of the students Chan was a 2019 U.S. Physics Olympiad qualifier. Students making the U.S. team compete in a global contest for physics.

Kendra Chan was just turning 26. She was an American wildlife biologist with U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in Ventura.

“I was so proud, so proud of her and all that she was doing,” said Moore. “She was absolutely an amazing young woman.”

In the close-knit dive community, many people are struggling to come to terms with what happened.

“The community’s in total shock, being such a small group, and to have that many divers taken all at once is a tragedy,” said Charles McKinven, manager of Pacific Scuba Divers in Sunnyvale.

McKinven said he believed that two of his frequent clients were among the victims as well.

He added he’s been on the boat that was involved in the tragedy.

“I’d equate it to, the bunk room would be similar to something you’d see on a train, and it’s three tiers of bunks, or it’s two tiers depending on which level you’re at,” McKinven said. “But that’s on the lower level of the boat.”

He said the victims might not have known what was going on.

“If you’re like most divers, you’ve been diving four to five times that day, by the time you go to bed, you’re tired. I honestly think most of them probably didn’t even know what was going on,” he said.

As the family is waiting for formal confirmation from the office of the coroner, they are now working on funeral arrangements.

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.