Captain Sir Tom Moore’s ashes were placed beside his parents and grandparents in the family grave at Morton Cemetery, Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, on Monday, July 5.

Relatives of the Second World War veteran and NHS charity fundraiser traveled to his final resting place, passing past a guard of honor made up of schoolchildren and organizations close to his heart.

Sir Tom captured the hearts of the nation when he raised more than £32 million (U.S. $44 million) for the NHS by walking 100 laps of his Bedfordshire garden before his 100th birthday during the first coronavirus lockdown.

Around 50 members of the NHS, the Royal British Legion, Scouts, Guides, and other organizations lined the cemetery’s road on the outskirts of Keighley.

As they proceeded from their cars to the grave, which is just a few yards from Riddlesden’s war memorial, Sir Tom’s two daughters, Hannah Ingram-Moore and Lucy Teixeira, two of his grandkids, and two of his sons-in-law chatted and shared stories with those on the honor guard.

The Lord Lieutenant of West Yorkshire, Ed Anderson, and Keighley Town Chaplain, the Reverend Dr. Jonathan Pritchard, met them at the graveside and held a short service as Sir Tom’s ashes were laid to rest.

The words ‘I told you I was old’ have been engraved on the 7ft high family memorial stone above the grave, beneath a silhouette image of the 100-year-old former Army officer, as per Sir Tom’s desires.

The charity champion’s daughters said in a statement announcing his death: “The last year of our father’s life was nothing short of remarkable.

“He was rejuvenated and experienced things he’d only ever dreamed of.

“Whilst he’d been in so many hearts for just a short time, he was an incredible father and grandfather, and he will stay alive in our hearts forever.”

Sir Tom would have wanted a short service, according to the family, and Monday’s ceremony lasted around 15 minutes which marked the end of a remarkable 15-month journey for the WWII veteran.

After testing positive for COVID-19, he died on February 2 at the age of 100 at Bedford Hospital.