On Monday, May 17, authorities announced that a teen suspect had been apprehended for reportedly entering into a Dallas home and kidnapping a sleeping 4-year-old boy, who was later discovered dead on the street in the middle of the 7500 block of Saddleridge Drive before 7 a.m. Saturday. 

Cash Gernon, the child who died from several fatal wounds caused by an “edged weapon,” was identified by his guardian on Sunday, according to WFAA.

The guardian said that the boy was sleeping when the suspect, identified by detectives as 18-year-old Darriynn Brown, barged into his home through a rear door and snatched him.

The Dallas Police Department said Brown had been charged with kidnapping and theft, with further charges expected after forensic analysis.

Records show that Brown was held at the Dallas County Jail on Monday. It is unknown whether he has retained an attorney to speak on his behalf. 

According to the NYPost, Brown was arrested in late April for eluding arrest, and the case is still pending. Court documents show he lived with his parents barely a half-mile from where the boy’s body was discovered.

The boy’s guardian said she did not know what allegedly led Brown to target her son, whose body was subsequently discovered shirtless and shoeless on the street by a jogger early Saturday. 

Antwainese Square, 39, was jogging in the neighborhood when she noticed the boy and initially mistook him for a dog in the middle of the street. However, she noticed the boy’s arms and legs.

“That’s when I noticed the baby had ants at the bottom of his feet. So I knew he was deceased then,” Square told the Morning News. “It was heart-wrenching because this baby could have been no more than five.”

The kidnapping was also captured on surveillance tape, the guardian said. Investigators urged neighbors for any more video footage on Sunday to help them put together what happened, WFAA reported.

Brown was frequently seen in the city’s Mountain Creek district by some surrounding locals.

“Hard to believe,” Jose Ramirez, a neighbor, said of the boy’s death. “I don’t think [Brown] was in his right mind.”

“They were back in the alley, looking through trash containers to see if they could find any type of evidence,” he told WFAA. “They went down the street, and they spent a good time down there.”

Katie Guillen, another local, left flowers at the makeshift monument where the 4-year-body old’s was discovered. 

“It’s just so sad that someone woke up this morning and lost their child without a warning,” Guillen stated. “How do you throw away someone’s body like he’s nothing? He’s someone’s kid.”

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.