Covington Catholic High School student Nicholas Sandmann said Friday that he reached a settlement with NBC over his 2020 defamation lawsuit against them, according to Fox News.

Both liberal media and Democratic politicians had accused the Covington Catholic High School student from Kentucky and his classmates of racism over a confrontation at the 2019 “March for Life” in Washington, DC, in which the now-19-year-old wore a MAGA cap. 

While neither side gave details of the settlement, the young man had sought a sum of $275 million for damages for the unfounded criticism from NBC Universal and MSNBC.

“At this time I would like to release that NBC and I have reached a settlement,” Sandmann wrote on Twitter, adding that the terms were confidential.

The media had said the student and his classmates had mocked Native American activist Nathan Phillips during the event in the U.S. capital. Sandmann was caught on video wearing one of former President Trump’s “Make America Great Again” campaign hats as he smiled at the activist.

The liberal media after that began passing around an edited video that exaggeratedly showed the young man’s smile, described him as an aggressive racist, and accused him of being the inciter of the conflict with activist Phillips. 

“My life changed forever in that one moment. The full war machine of the mainstream media revved up into attack mode. They did so without ever researching the full video of the incident, without ever investigating Mr. Philips’s motives, or without ever asking me for my side of the story,” Sandmann explained in August 2020. 

“And do you know why? Because the truth was not important. Advancing their anti-Christian, anti-conservative, anti-Donald Trump narrative was all that mattered. And if advancing their narrative ruined the reputation and future of a teenager from Covington, Kentucky, well so be it. That will teach him not to wear a MAGA hat,” he stated.

But later, a more detailed video of the incident was released, showing that Phillips had provoked Covington students by drumming in their faces, to which they responded with school chants.

“Today, @LLinWood and I filed a $275,000,000 lawsuit against NBCUniversal on behalf of Nicholas Sandmann. The facts of the suit show the anti-Trump narrative NBC pushed so hard,” wrote 2019 Todd V. McMurtry, Sandmann’s attorney, when he announced the defamation lawsuit.

The young man had sought a combined sum for NBC Universal, CNN, and the Washington Post of $800 million. With the latter, he had already settled in 2020.

Sandmann’s lawyers accused NBC of making “at least fifteen defamatory television broadcasts, six defamatory online articles and many tweets falsely accusing Nicholas and his Covington Catholic High School classmates of racist acts.”

Sandmann spoke to Fox News host Sean Hannity about the pressure he and his family had to endure due to the grievances propitiated by the media and some other influential people. 

He also compared his case to that of Illinois teen Kyle Rittenhouse, who was recently acquitted of manslaughter charges in the shooting deaths of two Kenosha, Wisconsin protesters.

“It’s terrible, Sean—as a 17-year-old in Kyle’s case and mine 16, your mind is still developing,” he said. “So to deal with an overload of stress where you have this feeling that half of the country—hundreds of millions of people—hate you for something that you are innocent of, but how you are painted can do a lot to you mentally.”

“It takes a very strong will to be able to resist that and keep a level head,” he added. “I think that Kyle Rittenhouse is dealing with that right now.”

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.