Fox News reported on Tuesday, Oct. 27, that after an incident in which police allegedly killed a black man armed with a knife that charged them, riots broke out in the streets of Philadelphia, an image similar to those that occurred after the death of George Floyd in Minnesota with looting and violence against security forces.

Police responded to an emergency call on Oct. 26 around 4 p.m. When they arrived on the scene, a 27-year-old man identified as Walter Wallace was in an apparent dispute with another person. Wallace was allegedly holding a knife in his hand. The police warned him to drop the knife, but Wallace did not obey and attacked the officers who, after backing down, began to shoot. 

The victim was taken to the hospital by the officers where he was later pronounced dead. 

Wallace’s death was again labeled as police brutality against the black community and hundreds of people came out to protest, heading for the police station where the police had to put up metal barricades to stop the protesters.

During Tuesday morning, 91 arrests were recorded, and 30 police officers were injured. One of the protesters even intentionally ran over police officers with his truck. As a result of this attack a 56-year-old sergeant had to be hospitalized with a broken leg and other injuries.

The protesters set fire to police vehicles and garbage containers and threw stones and bricks at the officers as they tried to disperse the violent crowd. 

Aerial footage from the local CBS TV station taken from a helicopter shows the protesters looting a sportswear store, Foot Locker, while Ruptly TV uploaded footage on its YouTube channel showing a local Boostmobile and a cellphone store being looted as well.

A business owner walks in his looted beauty supply store following protests over the police shooting death of Walter Wallace, a black man in Philadelphia, Pa., on Oct. 27, 2020. (David ‘Dee’ Delgado/Reuters)

The district attorney and the chief of police promised to open an investigation into the incident.

The victim’s family said Wallace had mental problems and was on medication. The father complained about why the police did not use a Taser instead of shooting him, but the officers were reportedly not armed with Tasers during the incident.

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.