President Donald Trump said his administration is coordinating with the Republican leader as well as California Gov. Gavin Newsom in an effort to deliver disaster relief funding to the state following devastating earthquakes last week.

In a tweet on Monday afternoon, July 8, President Trump said he had spoken to GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy, who is also a representative of California’s 23rd District in the House, about the earthquakes in the state and informed him that “we will be working very closely on emergency funding.”

President Trump also confirmed he had a talk with Newsom who revealed on the weekend that he had got a phone from the president.

“All working together,” President Trump tweeted.

McCarthy said in a series of tweets on July 6 that he had been coordinating with Newsom’s office and local officials to get the aid to Southern California that had been hit by two large earthquakes, including a 7.1 Richter quake on July 5.

Damage in the Ridgecrest area following a 7.1 earthquake on July 5, 2019. (Kevin McCarthy Twitter)

The Republican leader said the Incident Command Center was set up after the powerful temblor on Friday and the first responders and search-and-rescue teams worked through the night.

“I am supportive of Governor @GavinNewsom’s request for a Presidential Emergency Declaration for direct federal assistance for immediate response needs following the earthquakes in Ridgecrest & Kern County. I will work w/ our federal partners to ensure all aid is made available,” McCarthy wrote in a tweet.

Newsom, after touring the quake-hit areas, shared with reporters last Saturday that President Trump called him to talk about the struggles California has been through and he was committed to helping the state recover from the earthquakes.

President Trump on June 6 signed into law the “Additional Supplemental Appropriations for Disaster Relief Act of 2019,” providing $19.1 billion to help Americans recover from the catastrophic disasters.