History was made by the Trump administration when it nominated the first African American officer to become the next Air Force chief of staff, taking on one of the two highest positions in the Air Force.

The announcement, made by Defense Secretary Mark Esper, confirms that Gen. Charles Q. Brown Jr., at present the head of Pacific Forces, has been nominated for the position by President Trump, reported BPR.

Brown, known as “CQ” is an F-16 pilot with over 2,900 flying hours, and he served as deputy commander of U.S. Central Command from July 2016 to July 2018. The post he has been nominated for has been held by Gen. David L. Goldfein for the past four years, and he will retire on June 30.

Brown’s position, to be confirmed by the Senate, will make him the first African American service chief, and also the first African American to sit on the Joint Chiefs of Staff since then-Army Gen. Colin Powell, who served as chairman between 1989 and 1993.

“I am truly honored and humbled by the nomination to serve as the Air Force’s 22nd chief of staff,” Brown said in a news release. “If confirmed, Sharene and I look forward to building upon the legacy of Gen. Dave and Dawn Goldfein and the many airpower giants before who have served our Air Force and our nation with such dedication.”

“CQ Brown is one of the finest warriors our Air Force has ever produced. He’s led worldwide—in the Pacific, Europe, the Middle East, and Africa,” Goldfein said. “When it comes to global, operational savvy there’s nobody stronger. Congratulations to Gen. Brown on his nomination to be our next chief.”

“Gen CQ Brown is the right strategic leader at the right time for the United States Air Force,” Gen. Jay Raymond, chief of Space Operations, said in the news release.

“He clearly understands the evolving and complex strategic environment we face and recognizes the importance of integrating across all domains to compete, deter and win. On behalf of the 16,000 men and women assigned to the United States Space Force, congratulations on the nomination!” Raymond said.

The president’s son, Donald Trump Jr., stated in a tweet celebrating the “incredible news” that media reports would have been more forthcoming if “someone other than” his father President Trump was responsible.

Social media netizens were not amiss with congratulations however, as praise kept rolling in.
Actor James Wood offered congratulations,

 

Join our program