The U.S. State Department said Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has reached out and spoken with Great Britain’s new Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab about discussing key global priorities, including countering Iran’s attempts to expand its nuclear program and strengthening the NATO alliance.

Raab was appointed to the post by Great Britain’s new Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Wednesday, July 24. Last week Iran seized a British-flagged oil tanker in the Strait of Hormuz. Afterward, U.S. Central Command said it had begun extra U.S. aerial patrols.

Also last week, the U.S. Navy said it destroyed one, and possibly two, Iranian drones in what the Navy called threatening moves against the USS Boxer in the strait. The State Department responded with a statement after North Korea fired a new type of short-range ballistic missile in two launches into the sea Thursday.

videoinfo__video.thebl.com||9e2221367__

State Department’s spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said: “I think what the president has said, and what the president has stressed and the secretary as well, is that we want to have diplomatic engagement with the North Koreans. We, you know, continue to urge the North Koreans to resolve all of the things that the president and that Chairman Kim have talked about through diplomacy. We urge no more provocations and to, that all parties should abide by our obligations under U.N. Security Council resolutions.”

South Korea disclosed the launches, which are the first in more than two months, and appear to be a pressuring tactic as Pyongyang and Washington are yet to restart nuclear negotiations.

“What would be most productive is for Chairman Kim and his staff, and for President Trump and all of his staff, to continue upon the path that was laid out for us both in Vietnam and at the DMZ,” State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said.

“That is a diplomatic resolution and the end of North Korea’s nuclear weapons,” she said.    

Includes reporting from The Associated Press