A police officer in Dunwoody, Georgia, was dragged onto a freeway and almost run over after he stopped a man for talking on a cellphone.

The incident happened at about 11:35 a.m. on Aug.1 when Dunwoody Police Officer Nathan Daley stopped Derric Alexander Simpson, 35, for talking on his cellphone while he was driving, in violation of the state’s hands-free law, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

As Daley stood beside the driver’s window of the Chevy Malibu talking to him, Simpson began to put his car into gear.

Dashcam video from the police car of the officer showed that when Daley reached inside the car to stop him, Simpson slammed the gas and took off, with the officer hanging out the window.

The two had been stopped at an entrance ramp to Interstate 285, and Simpson sped from the ramp onto the freeway, with Daley officer hanging on for dear life.

The video showed Simpson drove in a reckless manner and slammed Daley’s body into several vehicles on the highway.

He swerved into a white Ford van and knocked the officer off and threw him into moving traffic.

Officers pursued Simpson but he crashed shortly thereafter near Roswell Road, the paper reported.

Once wrecked, the driver jumped out of his car and over the concrete wall and fled on foot, the video showed.

An officer chased Simpson down and took him into custody quickly.

Police didn’t wait for an ambulance to transport Daley. Instead, they scooped him up and raced him to the hospital in a police car.

Daley was later released from the hospital to recover at home.

Simpson was charged with aggravated assault on an officer, aggravated battery, fleeing or attempting to elude police, possession of marijuana, trafficking ecstasy with intent to distribute, hit-and-run, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, and violating Georgia’s hands-free law, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

Court records showed Simpson remains in custody without bond in the DeKalb County Jail, Georgia.

Tags: Categories: U.S.
Join our program