Bishops around the world began issuing restrictions against the traditional liturgy after Pope Francis issued his new motu proprio restricting the celebration of the traditional liturgy. However, some prelates have granted temporary permissions for the current status quo to continue.
On Friday, July 16, Pope Francis published Traditionis Custodes, a new motu proprio that promotes many limits on the celebration of the traditional liturgy (also called the “Latin Mass,” the “Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite,” the “Old Mass,” the “Mass of the Ages,” the “Tridentine Mass”).
One of the most significant restrictions was the requirement that priests “request” permission to say the Latin Mass from their diocesan bishops, with bishops having the power to prohibit priests from doing so.
Bishops could also determine “whether or not to retain” parishes that had been built canonically to hold traditional liturgy, reported Life Site News.
Diocese of Baguio, Philippines
Because of the motu proprio, the Latin Mass community of Our Lady of Atonement in the Diocese of Baguio, Philippines, wrote that the celebration of the traditional Mass would be temporarily discontinued beginning July 18.
The group expressed optimism for the revival of the Latin Mass in the future, “once we have complied with the requirements stipulated.”
Diocese of Bismarck, North Dakota
Bishop David Kagan of Bismarck has decided to stop the traditional liturgy in his diocese. At the same time, one person on social media claimed that the bishop had left it up to the priest to make the announcement publicly.
As a result, the Latin Mass community was forced to announce that the Novus Ordo will be used for Sunday Mass on July 25.
Diocese of Clifton, U.K.
Dom Bede Rowe and Dom Anselm Redman of the Benedictine community of Our Lady of Glastonbury in the United Kingdom claimed that they had been forced to stop saying the Old Mass by their local bishop.
“Following the Motu Proprio and instruction from Bishop Declan, the 12.30 p.m. Latin Mass at Glastonbury will be the final Latin Mass here. Our Community continues to offer our prayers for the parishes which have been entrusted to our care.”
Diocese of Covington, Kentucky
Bishop Roger Foys, the outgoing bishop of the Covington Diocese, emailed Father Matthew Cushing on the evening of July 16 to inform him that the weekly Latin Mass at All Saints Church in Walton, Kentucky, would not be continued, the priest told his parishioners.
Diocese of Little Rock, Arkansas
Bishop Anthony B. Taylor of the Diocese of Little Rock, Arkansas, was one of the first to take immediate action to stop the Old Mass from being celebrated in three churches in his diocese.
Bishop Taylor indicated in a news release on July 16 that the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter’s two personal parishes may celebrate the Latin Mass. These are the individual parishes of St. John the Baptist in Cabot and Our Lady of Sorrows in Springdale.
The Latin Mass, on the other hand, “will no longer be celebrated in El Dorado, Mountain Home, or Cherokee Village,” he said.
Diocese of Mayagüez, Puerto Rico
Bishop Angel Rios Matos of Puerto Rico has declared the Traditional Latin Mass to be “prohibited” in the diocese, citing that no communities have claimed the need to celebrate the Eucharist with such exceptional form.
As a result, Bishop Rios Matos outlawed any promotion of the traditional liturgy, declared that no space or priest would be assigned for the ancient rituals, and forbade the use of traditional Catholic vestments more typically associated with the Old Rite.