Just hours before the shooting spree that left four students dead and seven wounded on Tuesday, Nov. 30, Ethan Crumbley, the suspect in the Oxford High School shooting, had been hauled into the school with his parents to meet with administrators for his behavior in the classroom.
On Wednesday, prosecutors in suburban Detroit charged a 15-year-old boy with terrorism, first-degree murder, assault, and weapons possession in connection with the shooting.
Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said at a press briefing on Wednesday, “We have since learned that the school did have contact with the student the day before and the day of the shooting for behaviors in the classroom that they felt was concerning.” He added, “In fact, the parents were brought in the morning of the shooting and had a face-to-face meeting with the school. The content of that meeting of course is part of the investigation.”
Bouchard said the district had no record of the suspect being bullied at school. In addition, Crumbley had never been expelled from school or had any previous disciplinary issues, according to New York Post.
Bouchard added that although investigators spent hours examining video from security cameras to track the suspect’s movements, his targets “appeared random.”
Authorities told the judge that investigators had recovered two videos from the suspect’s cellphone from the night before the shootings. A journal in his backpack also detailed his desire to carry out an assault.
As The New York Times reported, the shooting was obviously planned. “He methodically and deliberately walked down the hallway, aiming the firearm at students and firing,” said Marc Keast, an assistant prosecuting attorney. He continued, “He deliberately brought the handgun that day with the intent to murder as many students as he could.”
Officials said the injured students varied in age from 14 to 17, with one in serious condition and two in stable condition. A 47-year-old female teacher was also released from the hospital on Tuesday.