An Ohio teen was busted with an AK-47 assault rifle inside a Times Square subway station on Friday afternoon, April 16. His father, a felon, was killed in a shootout with Ohio police just last month.

Following a wild chase on Interstate 270, authorities shot and killed Andrew Teague, 43, in Columbus, Ohio, on March 5.

Before the fatal encounter, the cops said they were attempting to apprehend Teague on a felony assault warrant stemming from an incident on February 2.

Police had pursued Teague for more than an hour, and to escape, he sped the wrong way down I-270, colliding head-on with two other cars.

Teague then exited the car and fired bullets at a Columbus police officer and a lieutenant, WBNS-TV reported, citing Chief Deputy Jim Gilbert of the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office.

In the shootout, Teague, who had a long criminal record that included convictions for gun possession, domestic violence, robbery, and drug trafficking, was killed. At the scene, investigators discovered a rifle.

Teague’s cousin, HK Woods, told The New York Post over the phone that the man been having problems with his parole officer, which  “drove him to the edge.”

“He kind of went out the only way he could,” Woods said.

Son apprehended with AK-47 in NY subway

The man’s 18-year-old son, Saadiq Teague, was apprehended by New York Police Department cops with an AK-47 assault rifle and a gas mask inside the Times Square subway station on April 16, according to law enforcement sources. Two counts of criminal possession of a firearm, two counts of criminal possession in the third degree, and one count of criminal use of drug paraphernalia are among the charges he faces.

Saadiq was apprehended without incident on the mezzanine level of the subway station of the A, C, and E lines around 12:30 p.m. He was not charged right away.

As uniformed transit cops spotted the teen inside the station, he was sitting and charging his phone with the rifle next to him in plain sight, sources claimed.

Officers confronted the suspect and questioned him about his motives. The suspect then appeared to have a permit for the weapon in Ohio, but the reason why the suspect had the weapon and a loaded magazine in his possession is unknown.

According to the sources, the AK-47 was unloaded, but the teen had a fully loaded magazine in his bag, as well as a gas mask.

A high-ranking police source said that Saadiq believed carrying an unloaded weapon with the ammunition stored separately was legal in New York City.

New York Police Commissioner Dermot Shea praised the officers who were patrolling the subway station regularly for their ability to apprehend the suspect without incident.

“This story could’ve had a tragically different ending, but thanks to these diligent cops, it ends with the suspect in handcuffs,” Shea tweeted on Friday.

Woods described Saadiq as a good kid who loved football but said he has not spoken to Saadiq in years.

The news shocked an Ohio man who introduced himself as Saadiq’s uncle Rennell Mahone on Friday. 

“How the hell did he get into New York?” questioned said Mahone, on the phone with The Post, before asking, “He had a gas mask in the subway station?”


Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.