Two brothers from New York were charged with manslaughter for allegedly leaving their grandmother to die in a house fire earlier this year.
Jarrett W. Gause, 33, of Bath, and Justin L. Gause, 21, of Corning, had second-degree murder charges changed to manslaughter on Monday, Oct. 21, in the May death of 82-year-old Gladys Ann Willow, according to WETM.
Steuben County District Attorney Brooks Baker said that the men went back into the Riverside home to save meth equipment and left their grandmother inside while the house burned.
The fire allegedly started during the manufacture of meth in the home, The Leader report.
Both brothers then left the scene to get cigarettes and didn’t report the blaze to the fire department, Baker told WETM.
According to New York State Police, Willow was rushed to an area hospital, where she died from injuries, the Star-Gazette of Elmira reported.
The suspects are also facing multiple reckless endangerment charges for the firefighters who responded, as well as evidence tampering charges. They are expected to be back in court later this month to complete their arraignments.