A Georgia man literally stopped traffic when he removed his clothes and threatened to blow up a major highway on May 7.

The unidentified naked man allegedly stopped his Chevrolet Equinox near Love’s Travel Stop on the westbound side of U.S. Route 17, and east of exit 29 at Interstate 95, in Brunswick—about 80 miles south of downtown Savannah.

The man is then accused of threatening a passing motorist and authorities not to approach him otherwise he will detonate a bomb he brought with him.

A Glynn County Police officer arrived at the scene at about 5:20 a.m. For several hours, the officer unsuccessfully tried to convince the suspect to stand down. County police established a perimeter and requested assistance from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) and Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) unit.

GBI’s bomb squad attempted to make contact with the suspect using a drone. Law enforcement officers tried to provide a corded “throw phone” to speak with the man but this strategy failed after the wires became tangled. They then offered to give the suspect some underwear but he refused.

A video that has since gone viral on social media shows at least seven Glynn County Police SWAT officers at the scene. They wait several seconds behind a heavily armored vehicle before moving towards the suspect.

SWAT officers fired tear gas bullets into the Chevrolet, forcing the driver to exit the vehicle before he was completely surrounded, tasered, arrested, and removed from the scene at about 1:24 p.m., according to Yahoo! News.

“Scene is still active but the person has been taken into custody,” Glynn County Police Department (GCPD) said on Facebook. “Continue to avoid the area.”

No bombs or other weapons were discovered in the car, and the suspect was transported to the Southeast Georgia Health System’s Brunswick Campus for psychiatric treatment.

After U.S. Route 17 reopened, the exit remained closed for several hours.

“Update: situation is resolved [and] please avoid exit 29 [on] Highway 17,” GCPD said on Facebook.

Police did not release the name or age of the suspect, even after reopening the affected exit.

“Roadway is open at Highway 17 and exit 29, everyone’s cooperation is appreciated,” GCPD said on Facebook.

GCPD was pleased to report no injuries or casualties resulted from the standoff.

“The good thing is everybody is okay,” interim chief Rickey Evans said according to Yahoo! News.

Evans believes taking his time to neutralize the situation helped avoid unnecessary bloodshed.

“We were in no hurry to pressure this, time was on our side,” he said. “It was done right and no one was hurt.”

Although no illegal explosives or weapons were found, the suspect still potentially faces being charged with making a terroristic threat and other felonies, according to Evans.

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.