A man in Montana allegedly attacked a 13-year-old boy for not removing his hat during the national anthem and was charged with assault of a minor.
The incident occurred on Saturday evening Aug. 3, at the Mineral County Fair and Rodeo in Superior, a small town in northwestern Montana.
A witness, Taylor Hennick described seeing the boy “on the ground” after she paused near the park entrance for the anthem.
“He was bleeding out of his ears, seizing on the ground, just not coherent,” Hennick said.
Other witnesses saw a man slam the boy to the ground.
The assailant was identified as Charles James Brockway, 39. He was arrested around 11 p.m. on Saturday, according to Mineral County Sheriff’s deputies.
Brockway allegedly told bystanders the assault was justified because the boy had been “disrespecting the national anthem,” Hennick said.
The 13-year-old boy was taken by ambulance to a local hospital and later flown to Sacred Heart Children’s Hospital in Spokane, Washington with temporal skull fractures.
The boy was released to his parents, who confirmed he was also bleeding from his ears for six hours following the injury. He has returned home to recover.
According to Montana Department of Corrections, Brockway had a record of assault and was currently on a 10-year-probation for an assault with a deadly weapon charge in 2010.
His bond was set at $100,000. Formal arraignment for him has been scheduled for Aug. 14. at 10 a.m.