Christopher Laundrie, the father of missing Brian Laundrie, has agreed to take part in the search for his son now, the family’s attorney updated Wednesday, Oct. 6.

“Chris Laundrie was asked to assist law enforcement in their search for Brian at the preserve today,” said Steve Bertolino, attorney for the Laundrie family, Fox News.

“Since the preserve has been closed to the public, Chris has not been able to look for Brian in the only place Chris and Roberta believe Brian may be,” he added.

Brian Laundrie, 23, is the sole person of interest in the case of deceased 22-year-old Gabby Petito, whose death was ruled a homicide. He also is her fiance.

Laundrie accompanied Petito on a cross-country trip since July, but as of Sept. 1, he went back to his parent’s house in Florida in her van without her. 

Petito was reported missing on Sept. 11, and her body was found at the Teton-Bridger National Forest in Wyoming on Sept. 19.

Laundrie disappeared several days before Petito’s remains were found. Authorities learned of his disappearance on Sept.14, a massive manhunt was launched but had not achieved much success this far. 

The Laundrie family kept to themselves throughout the weeks that officials were hunting for Brian. But as of Wednesday, the attorney for the family said Christopher Laundrie was eager to help. 

“The North Port police informed me that they were focusing on certain areas of the preserve today and they were actually hoping that Mr. Laundrie could join them on that search,” said Bertolino.

The father had not joined nor had any role in the search so far, Bertolino said, and was waiting for the North Port Police Department’s move.

Authorities have been scouting for Laundrie at Carlton Reserve, Florida. They denied they had asked Bertolino for help searching.

“In no world would we be the agency asking the family to help search in an FBI-led investigation,” said a North Port Police Department spokesman. 

“They may have found stuff in the reserve for the father to identify. Not a body, but belongings,” said Pat Diaz, a former Miami-Dade homicide detective. 

The family of Petito had been frustrated with the Laundrie family over their attitude since her missing case made it to authorities. As the search for Laundrie proceeded, they were no less skeptical. 

“We couldn’t find Gabby. We did anything to find Gabby. What did they do to find Brian? I haven’t seen them on any TV shows… find Brian. Why do you think that is,” said Joseph Petito, father of Petito, per the Independent.

Richard Stafford, the lawyer for the Petito family, repeated the same skeptical views that the Laundrie family might not be too enthusiastic in finding the missing 23-year-old.

“The Laundries did not help us find Gabby. They’re sure not going to help us find Brian. For Brian, we’re asking you to turn yourself in to the FBI or the nearest law enforcement agency,” Stafford said on Tuesday, according to CNN.

Sign up to receive our latest news!

  • SMS / PHONE

    By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.