An Illinois food truck owner with a concealed-carry permit was killed while saving at least 15 people from two masked gunmen Saturday night, Sept. 28.

The incident happened Chicago, as 43-year-old Derrick Gholston was selling jerk chicken from his truck then the armed suspects approached him at about 7:15 p.m., according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

The suspects presented a handgun and demanded that Gholston hand over some of his property, and he complied, police said.

Two gunmen robbed the nearby Crispy Cuts Barbershop and shot a 51-year-old man inside, WGN reported. Police said that at least 15 citizens were inside the shop at the time.

That’s when police say Gholston, entered the barbershop and engaged in a shootout with the suspects, according to WGN. 

Gholston and one of the suspects, later identified as 18-year-old Carlos Smith, were shot in the process. They were taken to Christ Memorial Hospital, where they were pronounced dead within an hour of sustaining gunshot wounds to their torsos, the Chicago Sun-Times reported. 

The 51-year-old shooting victim was transported to a local hospital with two gunshot wounds to the leg and was listed in stable condition.

“This is a guy that saw something terrible that was about to happen, intervened, and it’s the last thing that he did,” resident Nicholas Sidel told WGN. “In my book, he’s a hero. … It’s really hurtful to find out that he actually passed away.”

Gholston leaves behind two young sons, ages five and three, WMAQ reported. Roseland resident Nicholas Sidel said he wasn’t surprised he intervened, because, “that’s the kind of guy he was.”

According to police, Smith was still wearing a mask and was in possession of zip ties when he was taken to the hospital, signaling something even more sinister could have occurred.

The other suspect fled and has not been taken into custody, police said.

He described as a black male who stood between 5 feet, 7 inches and 6 feet tall, and weighed between 150 and 185 pounds, the Hartford Courant reported.

He was last seen wearing jeans and an orange hooded sweatshirt.

Area South detectives were investigating.