Police are looking for a gray Toyota with a missing hubcap connected with a shooting outside Nationals Park in Washington, D.C., which caused a chaotic situation resulting in an unexpected delay to Saturday’s Washington Nationals game.

Three persons were shot, according to D.C. police at a press briefing Saturday night, July 17.

A photo of the automobile was labeled as “the suspect vehicle” by the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) on Twitter on Sunday, July 18.

Assistance from the community has been requested by police to aid in determining the passengers of a Toyota Corolla that was caught on camera by neighboring security equipment. The vehicle possessed a temporary Virginia tag, dark-tinted glass, and a hubcap removed from the back driver’s side wheel, police added.

“While MPD’s investigation is ongoing, it appears the incident involved a dispute between individuals in two vehicles. MPD does not believe the Washington Nationals, the ballpark or fans were the target,” said D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser and Nationals owner Mark Lerner reported ABC News.

Officials say the other car believed to be involved was found immediately after the assault. However, no details had been given as of Sunday afternoon, July 18.

According to police, officers from the D.C. MPD were on the scene when they heard gunfire and discovered a woman attending the game injured outside the field.

Officials reported the event as a “shootout” between the occupants of two automobiles. Officers were questioning two currently hospitalized people. They had been in the car that was recovered.

According to authorities, the female victim who was injured was “expected to be OK.”

The initial confusion and panic stemmed from the fact that some people believed the shooter was in the stadium rather than outside.

The stadium video shows some audience sprinted for the gates or hid between seats. Others dashed into the dugouts and clubhouses.

“We heard what sounded like gunfire. Fans immediately took cover. The players fled the field. It felt like our stadium was under attack,” a spectator told CBS News.

Initially, audiences were urged to remain in the stadium. However, they were told it was safe to escape the stadium through the center and right field exits around 15 minutes later.

The Nationals’ game against the San Diego Padres was delayed and re-started on Sunday afternoon, July 18.

Official statistics reported that violent crimes have increased in the city since 2017.

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.