The director of the Trump 2020 campaign criticized Google’s new advertising policy for considering that it was specially designed to prevent the re-election of the president.
The technology giant reported on Nov. 20 that electoral announcements can no longer be targeted to specific groups. The political advertisements in Google Ads can only be segmented based on the general categories: age, sex, and general location (postal code).
This new regulation will enter into force on Jan. 6 in the United States.
Brad Parscale, director of Trump’s re-election campaign, said the changes were due to the victory of then-presidential candidate Donald Trump in 2016.
“2016 freaked them out because I used a whole bunch of liberal platforms to do it,” Parscale said in an interview with Fox News.
“I guarantee you, this decision came from another room full of people going, ‘Oh my God, we’ve got to stop them,'” added the digital consultant in a dialogue with journalist Kristin Fisher.
The new rules imply that campaign advisers will not be able to target voters based on their political affiliations, even if they have previously stated that they would like to be contacted.
“It is a removal of free speech. It is a voter suppression activity,” condemned Parscale.
“It would almost be like [if] AT&T had all the lists of all the Trump supporters in America, and AT&T said, ‘Oh, you can’t dial their phones,’ I mean, it’s crazy,” the specialist said.
Critical voices about Google’s new policy were also heard from the Democratic side.
In an article published in Medium magazine, a group of Democratic digital operatives and strategists stated that the measure has a strong impact on the Democratic voting base, which uses digital media relatively more.
Parscale indicated that the big loser is neither of the two main political parties but that the regulation “hurts the United States.”
“These are new tech ways of stopping connections. If I went on TV right now and said, ‘The telephone companies aren’t allowing me to call people,’ all heck would break loose. Right? It’s exactly what they did. They just did it with a different connection,” he explained.
A recent CBS report showed that Google and its YouTube video platform removed more than 300 political ads of President Donald Trump, although the company denied having an ‘anti-conservative’ bias.
However, reports of censorship from conservative analysts and communicators have been adding up for months.
In August, a conservative marketing executive at Prager University, known as PragerU, stressed that YouTube restricts the audience for its videos with conservative content.
Moreover, PragerU filed a lawsuit against Google in October 2017 after YouTube tagged more than 100 of its educational videos as “dangerous” or “derogatory,” which has the effect of restricting the audience.
In June, Dr. Robert Epstein, a psychologist with the American Institute for Behavioral Research and Technology, testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee noting, “Biased search results generated by Google’s search algorithm likely impacted undecided voters in a way that gave at least 2.6 million votes to Hillary Clinton.”
“Google should be sued. My victory was even bigger than I thought!” Trump tweeted about the issue.
Also, former Google employees, such as engineer Kevin Cernekee, have already acknowledged that the search engine is acting with a clear bias and that the technology company is working to prevent President Trump from being re-elected in 2020.