With impeachment proceedings against former President Donald Trump looming, new evidence continues to emerge that those accused of carrying out the riots on Capitol Hill on Jan. 6 planned the attacks weeks in advance.
According to Just the News, a dozen affidavits have so far been filed in support of the charges against those who carried out the attacks, confirming advance planning on social networking sites.
Such planning would have taken into account training, location scouting, identification of on-scene commanders, requests for cash donations, as well as combat and communication equipment.
Suspects charged with conspiracy to plan violent acts
More than half a dozen suspects have been charged with conspiracy to plan violent acts in the days leading up to the attacks that took place on Capitol Hill. Court documents show that the first actions were acknowledged to have taken place in November 2019 and accelerated after Christmas.
Federal prosecutors filed an FBI affidavit on Feb. 3, showing that just two days after Christmas, Ethan Nordean, an anti-government activist based in Washington posted through his Parler account a fundraising appeal to “help us with safety/protective gear and communications equipment,” according to FBI documents.
According to Just the News, Nordean, a member of the Proud Boys, better known as Rufio Panman, stepped up the rhetoric as he prepared to head to the capital, indicating that violence was imminent.
Ethan Nordean request in December 2020
“Let them remember the day they decided to make war with us,” Nordean wrote on his Parler account.
According to what a law enforcement source told the New York Post, several well-known members of the organization were spotted among the crowd of Trump supporters, some of them reportedly infiltrating the crowd wearing distinctive pro-Trump clothing.
The mounting evidence also calls into question the role of intelligence agencies such as the FBI in taking early action that would help counter riots in time. It similarly takes aim at Democratic claims of impeachment, backed by 10 Republicans, who claim the riots were incited by Trump.
Comments from Ken Starr a former federal judge
“I would hope that those 10 Republicans and hopefully even some Democrats would say as we now look at the timelines that the media, The New York Times, The Washington Post, and all are reporting on, here’s exactly it, the facts,” said former federal judge and former U.S. Attorney, Kenneth Starr.
According to Starr, the impeachment trial against Trump, “is a flagrant violation of the text, structure, and history of our Constitution, and of the historical example of the Nixon resignation, and the cessation at that stage in the House of Representatives of impeachment inquiry.”
For Starr, a sign of the unconstitutionality of the impeachment trial lies in the fact that Chief Justice John Roberts decided not to preside over it, claiming not to have the authority to do so, since he clearly does not have it because the Constitution prevents judging someone who is not the sitting president.
Meanwhile, Trump’s legal defense plans to make arguments and present evidence to clarify that the riots did not arise from the president’s speech in which he called for a peaceful protest and was protected by the First Amendment.
FBI affidavits filed against other defendants in the attack detail extensive fundraising efforts through popular public websites such as Go Fund Me, as well as the Christian fundraising site GiveSendGo.