An Emerson College student who suffered severe brain damage Saturday, Sept. 28, during a fight at a party has died, his family and the college announced.

Daniel Hollis, a sophomore who played lacrosse and ice hockey at the private university in Boston, Massachusetts, succumbed to a traumatic brain stem injury around 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, four days after police found him unresponsive and bleeding from his head after a confrontation with a group of college-aged boys, according to his mother and police.

A post on the family’s Caring Bridge page reads in part:

“True to his caring and giving nature, Daniel chose to be an organ donor. We pray that his gifts will prevent other families from experiencing the heartbreak we are currently experiencing. Our deepest appreciation goes to all who have kept us in their thoughts and prayers. We ask you now to turn those prayers and good wishes to the many friends and family who have to learn how to live with a little less sunshine.”

Hollis suffered irreparable damage to his brain after an altercation in the Allston-Brighton area, where the marketing major and his friends were confronted by another group of college students. This allegedly led to a physical fight and Hollis subsequently hit his head on either cement or bricks.

He was taken to a Boston hospital, where doctors diagnosed him with a blood clot on his brain requiring immediate surgery.

Hollis was placed in a medically induced coma. He was not expected to regain consciousness due to the severity of his injuries, his relatives said Monday.

Boston police said the investigation is ongoing. No arrests have been made at this time in connection with the incident.

Hollis was an imposing goalie for the Emerson College lacrosse team. He held a state record for most lacrosse saves in a season by a high school athlete. A vigil will be held for him on campus Thursday, Emerson College president Lee Pelton said.

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.