The idea of Colin Kaepernick returning to the NFL has not yet been abandoned. The dream, according to the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback, is still alive. Kaepernick has set his sights on returning to the NFL and is well aware of the amount of work it takes to be a successful starter. Kaepernick insists that his training has not ceased.
The 33-year-old Kaepernick has been a free agent since the San Francisco 49ers decided not to re-sign him in 2016 because of his contentious racial injustice demonstrations. Having dealt with social difficulties, the league has not taken a risk on him since, despite his agreeing to a private settlement with the NFL to end his blacklisting.
Kaepernick told Ebony Magazine that he continues to prepare rigorously for a possible call-up.
“Absolutely.” The 49ers quarterback stated in an interview with ESPN that he still gets up at 5 a.m. every day to practice for the Super Bowl five or six days a week, adding, “That’s not something I will ever let go of, regardless of the actions of 32 teams and their partners to deny me employment. The same way I was persistent in high school is the same way I’m gonna be persistent here.”
— Josiah Johnson (@KingJosiah54) August 26, 2021
Kaepernick has just launched his first book as an activist-turned-athlete. He has also been focusing on creating a production business to “showcase the work of Black and Brown directors, producers, creators, and storytellers,” and promoting Kaepernick Publishing.
He allegedly told his media team: “You have the power and ability to have an impact and create the change and bring about the future that you want.”
Kaepernick feels his commitment to his training routine reveals the real reason for the NFL’s unwillingness to let him return.
— Colin Kaepernick (@Kaepernick7) November 23, 2020
“And you’re gonna have to continue to deny me and do so in a public way. And you’re gonna expose yourself by that, but it won’t be because I’m not ready or not prepared.”
Prominent players, including Super Bowl MVP Patrick Mahomes, pressed the NFL to address the Star Spangled Banner demonstrations last year following the police killing of George Floyd.
Despite this, Commissioner Roger Goodell said, “We, the National Football League, admit we were wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier and encourage all to speak out and peacefully protest.”