YouTube, the world’s most popular video platform, announced in an official statement that starting Thursday, Jan. 7, it will ban all videos that seek to clarify or denounce electoral fraud in the presidential elections. If what was announced is carried out, it could become one of the biggest acts of censorship in recent times.
On Dec. 9, YouTube had already announced that it would begin to eliminate content that claims the existence of “widespread electoral fraud” in the presidential elections that influenced the final results.
The platform issued an official statement from its blog in which, using the pretext of “supporting the elections in the United States,” it announced the decision not to allow the circulation of videos that mention the cases of fraud that American democracy has suffered, in favor of the Democratic candidate Joe Biden.
In its statement, YouTube said it has already been manipulating search results and algorithms to hide “misleading” election videos, disguising the act of censorship as a supposed action to “highlight authorized information.”
Initially, the video platform only removed videos that declared “widespread election fraud,” but now after updating its regulations, the application will include the removal and issuance of an alert on the user’s channel that publishes any content that includes the concept of election fraud.
The alert signals on YouTube prevent users from uploading, sharing, and broadcasting live on their channels for a certain number of days depending on the case, and may even result in a total ban on access to the account.
The updated YouTube statement says, “Now that the election results have been certified, and due to the extraordinary events that transpired yesterday, videos uploaded on or after today (January 7) that violate this policy will both be removed and a strike will be applied to the channel.”
The decision of extreme censorship made by YouTube follows similar policies announced by the other Big Tech like Facebook and Instagram, after the violence on Wednesday at the Capitol, who announced that they are blocking President Trump’s accounts for an indefinite period of time.
Twitter and Snapchat also momentarily blocked President Trump’s accounts shortly after the rioters entered the Capitol building, using the alleged violation of its Civic Integrity policies as a pretext.
Of course, this is not the first time that conservative sectors have suffered some kind of censorship from the video platform. Although in this case it is truly worrisome, taking into account that censorship is not only applied against conservatives, but that by implying an electoral fraud on such a large scale as the one being denounced, what is at stake and what is being censored is democracy itself.
A former Google engineer, Kevin Cernekee, stated that the company would try to influence the outcome of the 2020 presidential election by harming President Trump, as reported by Fox News.
“When President Trump won in 2016, Google executives took the stage immediately and cried, tears literally streaming down their faces. They promised it would never happen again and they want to use all the power and resources they have to control the flow of information to the public and make sure Trump loses at 2020,″ Cernekee said on “Fox & Friends” in August last year, and today we can confirm their words with deeds.