A dream—and then a nightmare—felt too real not to be true for a San Diego woman when she swallowed her engagement ring in her sleep while dreaming about doing so.

In a viral Facebook post, Jenna Evans, 29, describes how she lost her engagement ring when she accidentally swallowed it, thinking she was dreaming, which led to a trip to the emergency room and thousands of likes and shares.

She was having a vivid dream in which she and her fiancé, Bobby Howell, were facing off with “bad guys” on a high-speed train.

“He told me I had to swallow my ring to protect it; so I popped that sucker off, put it in my mouth and swallowed it with a glass of water riiiight about the time I realized what I was doing,” 

So, in case you missed it, I swallowed my engagement ring in my sleep on Tuesday night. I actually remember doing it,…

Posted by Jenna Evans on Thursday, September 12, 2019

“I had to wake Bobby up and say, ‘I did something really stupid last night,'” Evans said. “When I woke up and it was not on my hand, I knew exactly where it was: it was in my stomach.”

Evans said she and Bobby had a good laugh, then they went to the emergency room. 

Doctors performed X-rays and there was the ring nestled right in her stomach. After conferring with a gastroenterologist, ER staff decided it was best not to let the ring simply pass through her system, Evans wrote, so the couple headed to a GI specialist.

Doctors performed an endoscopy to find the ring in her system, then safely removed it from her intestines and returned the jewelry to Evans.

“Everything went great, they found my ring just beyond my stomach in my intestines, retrieved it and gave it to Bobby, not me,” she wrote.

Evans said Thursday, “Bobby finally gave my ring back this morning – I promised not to swallow it again, we’re still getting married and all is right in the world.”