Neighbors of the Marina District neighborhood in San Francisco were forced to hire private security to patrol the streets of their area amid an increase in robberies, which not only occur at night but also in broad daylight.

They are a group of more than 150 families who decided to hire Special Patrol police officers to guard the area that has seen an increase in thefts from both homes and cars in what they describe before as a place where ‘nothing could happen to you.’

“We don’t feel safe in our neighborhood,” Katie Lyons, resident of the Marina District neighborhood, told CBS San Francisco. “We have an alarm, we have cameras on our property, but we want the extra security of having someone have eyes on our place.”

According to Lyons, they can no longer walk around at night with a wallet, they have to take a cab, and the problem of insecurity has also moved into daylight hours.

Daily Mail interviewed police officer Alan Byard, who several families hired to patrol the neighborhood from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. and claims he doubled his clientele from 70 he had last year to 150 now.

“People are afraid of what’s been going on. ‘They want a safe place to raise their kids. In the last year, I’ve had 10 of my clients move out of the city,” Byard said.

His job is to call the police department if he sees a crime, although, if necessary, he can also proceed to arrest suspects.

According to The San Francisco Chronicle, between May 2020 and May 2021, there was a 753 percent increase in car thefts in the city’s Central District.

Last week, in the San Francisco Bay Area, two hooded individuals were recorded on a car camera as they smashed the windows of several cars and removed belongings, all in broad daylight.

The video posted on social media Wednesday shows the two thieves driving through streets in residential areas of San Francisco and Oakland.

The leniency of justice

According to a Fox News report, one-third of the attorneys working in the San Francisco district attorney’s office either resigned or were fired since Chesa Boudin took over as DA in January 2020.

Two of those attorneys, Brooke Jenkins and Don Du Bain, explained their reasons for leaving the DA’s office.

“Chesa has a radical approach that involves not charging crime in the first place and simply releasing individuals with no rehabilitation and putting them in positions where they are simply more likely to re-offend,” said Jenkins, who describes herself as a “progressive attorney” who is also in favor of reforming the criminal justice system.

“Being an African American and Latino woman, I would wholeheartedly agree that the criminal justice system needs a lot of work, but when you are a district attorney, your job is to have balance,” Dr. Jenkins said.

According to Du Bain, DA Boudin “disregards the laws that he doesn’t like, and he disregards the court decisions that he doesn’t like to impose his own version of what he believes is just – and that’s not the job of the district attorney.”

DA Boudin, in previous statements, admitted that his policy is not to use prison as punishment for criminals and instead to “prioritize diversion, mental health treatment and keeping families together.”

However, the implementation of his policies has brought him condemnation and criticism from both the public and his employees.

One of the criminals Boudin conditionally released, Troy McAlister, who had a serious criminal record, crashed and killed two people in San Francisco while driving a stolen car and was intoxicated with drugs.

Du Bain said Boudin ordered him to ask for a more lenient sentence for a man convicted of shooting his girlfriend.

Du Bain felt that was a violation of a state statute and decided to withdraw from the case in protest.

“I’ve done 136 jury trials in my career—never, never withdrawn from a case before,” Du Bain said. “I’ve seen decisions made in this office in the last year plus, since Chesa took over, that shocked my conscience—and I’ve been a prosecutor for 30 years.”

Both Jenkins and Du Bain resigned from the prosecutor’s office and joined the second attempt to remove Boudin through the same procedure Governor Newsom went through.

According to the Daily Mail, of the 51,000 signatures needed to call for an election to decide whether the prosecutor should be removed, more than 80,000 have already been collected, and the signatures are in the process of being verified.

Once the judge validates the signatures, an extraordinary election will be called where the people will have to vote yes if they want to remove the prosecutor and no otherwise. With a simple majority of the voters voting in favor of the removal, the next step would be to choose who should replace him.

Sign up to receive our latest news!

  • SMS / PHONE

    By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.