Police are conducting an investigation after a swim team was sickened during practice when they inhaled chlorine gas Wednesday evening, July 31.

Nineteen children were exposed and 12 of them were transported to the hospital with respiratory issues, according to the Ventura County Fire Department.

Willam Yenne, the city manager, said that there was an apparent chlorine leak at a movie event at an outdoor pool Friday evening.

NEWS RELEASE For Immediate ReleaseCity Manager’s Office Saturday, August 3, 2019William P. Yenne, City Manager Lake…

Posted by City of Lake Jackson – Government on Saturday, August 3, 2019

Capt. Stan Ziegler defined the symptoms as, “difficulty breathing and coughing and those kinds of things that would be related to the chemicals.”

The owner of the Daland Swim School, Leslie Daland-James said the swim pump was probably malfunctioning.

She said some of the children got out of the pool in trouble and her staff helped them shower off the chemicals.

“We have been in contact with the parents at the hospital and no one is critically injured,” she said. “Their lungs are hurting a bit but they are going to be fine.”

Daland-James’s son was also given asthma medication to help him breathe at the hospital until he was sent home.

The outdoor pool will remain closed to make sure the pumps are in working order before reopening.

Categories: U.S. California