A California man died Monday, Sept.16, from an overdose of a drug that also killed his 13-month-old son over the weekend, authorities said.
Santa Rosa police said 29-year-old Patrick Savoy O’Neill was taken off life support Monday night.
O’Neill was found unresponsive with Saturday, Sept. 14, alongside his son Liam Savoy O’Neill in a bedroom of a Santa Rosa home. The child died at the scene.
Police are awaiting toxicology results, which are scheduled for both Patrick and Liam O’Neill, but it appears the toddler was exposed to fentanyl.
Michael Arevalo, 39, one of O’Neill’s best friends, said that O’Neill struggled with addiction for years but was trying to get clean in recent months.
“Pat was struggling with addiction, but at the same time, he loved his son,” Arevalo said. “His son was the reason he got clean. It was hard for him. It was a struggle for him.”
Santa Rosa police Lt. Dan Marincik said in a brief video posted to the police department’s Facebook: “Detectives are continuing to follow up on this investigation, so that we can learn the facts and circumstances surrounding what occurred. At this time our thoughts and our condolences go out to the family.”
Police would have arrested O’Neill for his son’s murder if he had survived, Marincik said.