The FBI announced that unidentified human remains “along with personal items, such as a backpack and notebook belonging to Brian Laundrie,” have been found Wednesday while searching the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park.

Steven Bertolino, Laundrie’s family attorney, confirmed that Chris and Roberta Laundrie “were at the reserve earlier today when human remains and some of Brian’s possessions were located” while they were searching along a trail that their son was known to frequent. 

Bertolino said the items were found “in an area where they had initially advised law enforcement that Brian may be.”

Michael McPherson, special agent in charge of the FBI’s Tampa division, said that “these items were found in an area that, up until recently, had been underwater. Our evidence response team is on scene using all available forensic resources to process the area.” 

He added that the team would continue working in the area for several days. 

The Laundrie’s left their North Port home just before 7:15 a.m. local time Wednesday for the environmental park.

The park had been closed but reopened on Tuesday following a weeks-long search for the fugitive.

The Laundries left the park at 8:45 a.m. on Wed. Bertolino announced that “Chris and Roberta will wait for the forensic identification of the human remains before making any additional comments.”

Both returned home shortly afterward and appeared emotional when confronted by protesters there.

Brian Laundrie, 23, has been named a person of interest in the disappearance and subsequent homicide of his fiancée, Gabby Petito.

Since his disappearance, state, local, county, and federal law enforcement have extensively searched the reserve and the Myakkahatchee, where Laundrie is said to have parked his car. 

The Laundries claimed their son Brian went to Myakkahatchee on Sept. 13, the day he was last seen.

Bertolino had initially set the date of Brian’s disappearance as Sept. 14 before changing the timeline weeks later.

Chris and Roberta Laundrie announced Brian’s whereabouts were unknown on Sept. 17–four days after he allegedly left.

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.