A decade-old cargo plane made an emergency landing in waters off Kalaeloa in West Oahu in the Pacific Ocean early Friday after engine trouble, two pilots were rescued. 

Around 1:40 a.m. on Friday, July 2, air traffic control received notice from two pilots of the Transair Flight 810 informing that their Boeing 737 cargo aircraft had lost one engine, and the second one was “running very hot.” The pilot relayed that “it doesn’t look good here,” according to StarAdvertiser.

The Transair Flight 810 headed to Kahului, Maui, after it departed from the Daniel K. Inouye International Airport in Honolulu at 1.33 a.m. when the defective engine troubles began. 

The pilots were attempting to return to Honolulu, but they were forced to land the plane in the ocean about two miles off Kalaeloa Airport, off West Oahu.

“We’ve lost No. 1 engine, and we’re coming straight to the airport,” one of the pilots said in air traffic control communications. “We’re going to need the fire department. There’s a chance we’re going to lose the other engine, too, it’s running very hot. We’re very low on speed.”

When the Coast Guard arrived, the two pilots, one aged 50 and one 58, were already in water. 

The older pilot was hoisted off by a helicopter which moved him to the Queens Medical Center. Sustaining serious injuries, he was admitted to the intensive care unit in a critical condition.

The Honolulu Fire Department boat rescued the other pilot, who sustained multiple lacerations and a head injury.  

The 46-year-old Boeing 737-200 has been working for one of the busiest flight routes in the world, devoting its life to trans-Atlantic passenger travel. 

Engine failures are usually linked to bird strikes or volcanic ash, but it has yet to be determined what caused the problems in this situation. When communicating with the Coast Guard via radio before the crash, the pilots said they did not carry any hazardous materials and still carried two hours’ worth of fuel.

The National Transportation Safety Board has assigned a team of 10 to investigate the event.

“We are working with the Coast Guard, the FAA and NTSB to secure the scene and investigate the cause. Our most immediate concern is the care and recovery of our colleagues. We will provide additional information as soon as it becomes available by,” said Transair chief executive officer Teimour Riahi.

Boeing also released a statement on the event, saying “We are aware of the reports out of Honolulu, Hawaii and are closely monitoring the situation. We are in contact with the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board and are working to gather more information.”

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.